No login screen after Windows 10 update

Hi

After a recent update I can't login into windows 10 because I only see the welcome screen (with the date and the keybord, wifi and power buttons) and it keeps trying to show the login screen but apparently it fails and returns to the welcome screen

1-I have already tried automatic repair: doesn't work

2-Tried to go into safe mode: my two accounts appear and are working.

I tried sfc /scannow and didn't find any integrety violations

3- restart brings the same issue back again

Aditional info

In safe mode I noticed the following about my two user accounts:

normal user account: The start button works normally. However I can't see the settings for sign-in options; although I see for example the apps, devices etc

administrator account: I simply don't see any of the windows settings. Just the blue window with the wheel. Only the right mouse button works on the start button

The first symptom things were not okay was that my fingerprint stopped working at the login screen. I had to login with the password. After returning from the screen saver my login screen was gone for good.

I already read many tutorials but none of the things seems to recover this issue

The issue seems to be related to a recent update by microsoft

[Original title: No login screen after windows 10 update]

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2020 Views 17,046 Applies to:
Hello Jm,

Issues appearing after an update may possibly be due to a system file corruption or missing update components. We would recommend that you perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file and check you'll be able to login afterwards. Kindly click on this link and follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa to get started.

Do get back to us should you need further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it does not work.

I created a USB bootable pen with windows 10 according to the instructions

However when I run it it says that the upgrade option is not available if you start your computer using windows installation media.

It tells me to start windows normally and then run windows setup. But this is precisely my problem; I can't login into windows so I cannot do this.

So the option is a dead end.

I believe I can't either do it inside windows safe mode which is the only thing I can do

Joao

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your response. Since the upgrade option is not available, we suggest that you try to do a custom installation if Windows 10. This will overwrite you corrupted operating system and will let you keep all your files in the process. To perform a custom installation of Windows 10, kindly refer to this article: How to: Perform a Custom Installation of Windows.

Let us know the results.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have no log in screen on laptop. Put a picture on home screen lat time I used it. I get date and time but nothing else.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My situation is a little different - I don't have a fingerprint reader to get to safe mode.

PC finally "completed" the major Windows 10 update last night after failing daily for the past week.

This morning I had the original splash screen, with datetime and wifi icon.  When click to go to login screen, ID comes up with circling progress icon - THEN reverts to splash screen.  

I never get login box, or power icon.  (However, Windows is running - all shared drives are available t o others in the office.)

How do I get to login?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

This could have been an issue with the recent update that you got.

Since you we're not able to proceed to Safe Mode, we might need to a custom installation of Windows 10. Please refer to the support article: How to: Perform a Custom Installation of Windows. Make sure not to skip any of the steps.

Hope this helps. Let us know if this works on your end.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

This could have been an issue with the recent update that you got.

Since you we're not able to proceed to Safe Mode, we might need to a custom installation of Windows 10. Please refer to the support article: How to: Perform a Custom Installation of Windows. Make sure not to skip any of the steps.

Hope this helps. Let us know if this works on your end.

WARNING!!!   Followed the instructions and got Windows 10 back - BUT watch out for the fine print.  Yes, my files were all saved.  However, they all get dumped into a folder called \windows.old.000 - so yes you keep your files, BUT you have none of your installed programs.  :-(

Sorry this didn't help.

I was experiencing the no-login-screen issue and searched to see if anyone was having the same issue.  I came across this and others, then solved my issue, then decided to come back here to share my particular problem and resolution.  I was not having the issue directly after a Windows 10 update, but rather my symptoms appeared out of the blue, seemingly.  But I believe the "fix" is applicable here. 

When the problem started, I found that if I waited it out, the login screen would come up eventually, but still it was an unusually long time before it did (minutes instead of seconds).  After logging in, the system would function as normal, except for the annoying delay on startup.  So I looked and I found various different suggestions for "fixes" online for this particular symptom going back a couple of years, ranging from booting into safe-mode, to disabling fast start-up, to disabling hibernation, to re-installing windows, and other exotic remedies that did not work.

What I did notice was Windows Defender Security Center was notifying me one of my devices failed a health check.  It was an external USB drive, and after turning it off, the login-screen issue I was having disappeared.  This is what I think was happening:  It appears as the system was booting up, Windows was enumerating through the different devices attached and found and issue with the drive, and after some pre-determined time, gives up on checking the problem and simply reports a device failure.  The problem is, during that time it's checking, it refuses to present you with the log-in screen; instead you have to wait until its checks are done before it gives you that next step.

Now, I'm not saying that is the exact cause (USB device failure) for the no-log-in-screen in every case, but I'm thinking that on boot up, Windows is finding something wrong with some device and will not go on to the log-on screen until it's done checking what's up.  I am pretty confident that in every case the log-in screen will eventually come up, but only after its issue resolution process has run its course (and that time taken will vary for whatever the issue may be).  In the case of this thread, It could be that after a Windows update, the updated system now found some kind of incompatibility with some device in your system, and basically doing the same thing here.  If I'm correct, needless to say this is a behavior/peculiarity that needs fixing.

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

tnx, did in the interim envoke the help of a service agent whose invoice records 'enabled mail apps in gmail & adjusted power settings to fix shutdown/taskbar problems'. 

However seems also that perhaps a back up system has been reloaded as  shutdown options are now restricted to shut down & restart and had a raft of out of date e-mails reloaded. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I got it working. Thanks for your help.

·

Sorry this didn't help.