"No boot device" failure after Win 10 update (KB3194496) on 9/29/16

I was able to boot from my Win 10 install media and use the option to repair problems preventing Windows from starting option... Anyone else having this issue? I see that my PC is now attempting to download and install this update again now (the repair must have rolled the system back or uninstalled KB3194496). I'm leery of installing it again...  

Thx

Dave

Dell Inspiron 11 3137

Pentium Dual Core 3556U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD

Win Defender + WinPatrol + WebAdvisor

Win 10x64 Build 1607

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I hab the same problem after instaling the update. Root cause for the issue was an old firmware of my Transcend SSD. I made a firmware-update (all data lost, but backup available) and after that, everything works fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Use this Microsoft tool to "hide" the update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3183922

See how to use it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzTSCarWvxg

Good luck,

JohnD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Unfortunately, after continually needing to start Windows using the recovery USB, it finally blue screened. I ended up doing a clean install, which I had been meaning to do anyway.  Working fine now.

Whatever caused this issue was definitely a result of the KB3194496 update, ultimately resulting in Windows not being able to find (or corrupting) the boot OS on the drive.  If I hadn't blue screened, I'd probably try hiding and uninstalling that update as per the second suggestion above.

Thanks

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I thought I had hidden the update using this tool, but it installed, and guess what? No bootable device.  I followed all the steps and hid the KB3194496 update. Very frustrating. 

How does one report this stuff to Microsoft? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

In order for us to resolve your concern about no boot device, please see this link and follow the steps carefully.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, this is not the answer explaining the cause of the problem. This basically says to see if it will boot into safe mode or not, then check driver incompatibility, and then to do a clean install if none of the other issues exist... 

I did end up doing a clean install earlier this month after the KB3194496 issue.   I blocked that update using the Show/Hide update tool. No issues for several weeks. Yesterday, KB3199209 was auto installed and now I have the no boot device error once again. There were no other changes to the system.  I have spent hours upon hours testing hardware, software and driver conflicts, ruling out viruses, etc. It always comes back to a corrupt Windows install due to a flaky update.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, MICROSOFT.  DO A BETTER JOB TESTING YOUR UPDATES BEFORE RUSHING THEM OUT!!!

And don't mark this answered until we get an explanation from MS, please. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To resolve the error "No boot device", follow the steps below:

1. Place the Windows 10 DVD, and reboot the Windows OS (operating system). If you can’t boot from the Windows DVD; then, you will have to go in the BIOS options, and be sure you have the option to boot from the CD/DVD selected and enabled.
  2. After the OS powers up, you will get to a “Windows setup” page.
  3. Select the appropriate “Language to install”, and “Keyboard or input method”; then, click on Next.
  4. Click on “Repair your computer” > “Troubleshoot” > “Advanced options” button.
  5. Click on “Automatic repair” button.
  6. Select the Windows 10 OS.
  7. Let the automatic repair process run. Once finished, reboot without the Windows 10 DVD, and check if you still get the “No boot device” message.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you Update SSD and/or BIOS/UEFI  firmware? 

MS is supposed to pick up these failures via telemetry which is why it's important not to turn off the system reporting functions due to paranoia about it spying when it really is trying to interact on these failures. 

Until then besides the resource How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 to delay the Update you already have done, there are other more progressive measures to take here:

How to Delay, Block Software Updates in Windows 10

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates .

Also, compare the Clean install you did with the one here:  Clean Install Windows 10 because no one who has completed that install has reported back any such problems.

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you Update SSD and/or BIOS/UEFI  firmware? 

MS is supposed to pick up these failures via telemetry which is why it's important not to turn off the system reporting functions due to paranoia about it spying when it really is trying to interact on these failures. 

Until then besides the resource How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10 to delay the Update you already have done, there are other more progressive measures to take here:

How to Delay, Block Software Updates in Windows 10

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates .

Also, compare the Clean install you did with the one here:  Clean Install Windows 10 because no one who has completed that install has reported back any such problems.

I checked, and my Transcend SSD has the most recent SSD firmware available. Same as the BIOS; my Dell has the latest A05 BIOS.  I have all the default system feedback options enabled.  I've (twice now) done clean installs and can narrow the "no boot" errors down to two separate updates. One was the update in question which prompted this post; another was the more recent KB3199209 from Oct 18th. Once I hide those updates using the tool, on a clean system, I don't have any issues.  Quite honestly, I'm a loyal PC techie, and I'm close to jumping ship to Apple. MS needs to do better testing of updates before pushing them out live.  I'd like to have an option to wait 30 days to install updates so the kinks get worked out before I install them.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To resolve the error "No boot device", follow the steps below:

1. Place the Windows 10 DVD, and reboot the Windows OS (operating system). If you can’t boot from the Windows DVD; then, you will have to go in the BIOS options, and be sure you have the option to boot from the CD/DVD selected and enabled.
  2. After the OS powers up, you will get to a “Windows setup” page.
  3. Select the appropriate “Language to install”, and “Keyboard or input method”; then, click on Next.
  4. Click on “Repair your computer” > “Troubleshoot” > “Advanced options” button.
  5. Click on “Automatic repair” button.
  6. Select the Windows 10 OS.
  7. Let the automatic repair process run. Once finished, reboot without the Windows 10 DVD, and check if you still get the “No boot device” message.

Let us know how it goes.

Correct. This is how I get my system up and running after each "no boot device" error. However, this procedure does not fix it permanently for me; it just gets it up and running so I can get in to Windows. Every time I reboot, I get the "no boot device" error, unless I do a clean install and block KB3194496 and also KB3199209 now.  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2023 Views 10,490 Applies to: