No admin privileges in Windows 10 - can't install software

I have the same problem as is described here:

No administrator account and other problems after updates - Microsoft Community

No admin privileges, so I can not install software or make any changes to my Lenovo laptop running Windows 10. I have followed the instructions I found on various sites, however I get the same problem the user in the link above had - access denied, or a pop up box asking 'do you want to let XX make changes to your computer', but there's no 'yes' button, and no way to sign in as an administrator. 

The support in the link above did not seem to resolve the problem. I can't find a resolution to this anywhere - can someone help? 

Thank you

Jane

Hello, my name is Gaston, I am an independent consultant.

To return administrator permissions, do the following.

1. Hold down the Shift key (the one with the up arrow) while restarting the computer. The computer will restart immediately and a screen will appear with different recovery options.

2. Press in this order the different options that appear on the screen until you reach Startup Settings:

Solve problems

Advanced Options

Startup settings

3. On the next screen, click Restart. Upon restart, a screen with startup options will be displayed. Press key 4 on your keyboard (Enable Safe Mode)

The system will now boot into safe mode. See how many users appear on the login screen so you can start in safe mode. Log into your account.

4. Once you have logged into your user account, press the Windows + R keys. In the Open box type netplwiz and press Enter. The User Accounts window will appear.

5. Select your user (who currently has no privileges) and click Properties

6. Click the Group Membership tab and select Administrator

7. Save the changes and reboot the system. Check when restarting if the problem has been solved and you have your administrator privileges again.

Best regards.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2024 Views 3,744 Applies to: