New laptop gets hot

Hi

I recently bought an asus N550JK-DS602H. Writing this is literally one of the first things i do with it. 

My problem is that the laptop grows suspicously hot. Very light usage will make the computer warm to the touch (my old computer always felt like room temperature unless pushed by gaming), and as long as i've monitered the CPU, i've never seen it go below 40 degrees celsius. When i was updating windows (and doing nothing else) the temperature was 60-70 degrees. The fan is on the back of the laptop, blowing in to the hinge (isn't this like really, really stupid design?), which seems like something that would decrease cooling.

So i'm wondering if there's anything wrong with the laptop? Should i send it in for reperations? Will this heat have any effects on the durability of the laptop?

Also, the power plan keeps changing (i'm keeping it at low consumption to decrease heat, but it just jumps up to high performance) without my consent. That is pretty weird

Thanks in advance

- Jeppe

Hi Jeppe,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Overheating laptop could be due to performance issues. It might also happen if the power plan settings are not appropriate for the system’s processor.

• What is the Make and Model of the laptop? 

Let’s try to identify the exact cause that is creating the overheat issue. Follow the methods:

Method 1: Please follow the steps to run the system maintenance troubleshooter:

a) Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.

b) Click on Troubleshooting.

c) Click on View all on the left side panel.

c) Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.

You may also refer to the link below to improve PC performance:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-pc-performance 

If the issue still persists, move to the next method.

Method 2: Let’s change the power plan settings to use minimum processor state to prevent overheating.

Reducing the maximum processor state for your laptop (both when it is on battery or when the power cable is plugged in), reduces the processor’s performance a notch (depending on your settings) and prevents it from being used at optimum potential by an application or game, which will reduce thermal heating. For example, if you are playing a game that is consuming 100% of your processor’s capacity, then it may also result in heating up your system, whereas reducing the battery power state to, say 80%, can resolve this problem, and also result in battery power conservation.

Follow the steps to do so:

a) Press Windows and X key together and select Power options.

b) Click on Change plan settings for the power plan that you have set on the laptop.

c) Go to Processor power management. Expand the icon and expand maximum processor state.

d) Reduce the processor state (for both Plugged-in as well as On battery) to a certain level to verify if it makes any difference.

e) Click on Apply and then OK.

For reference, you can refer to these link to optimize the computer’s performance:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive

Important: Data available on bad sectors might be lost when chkdsk tries to repair your hard disc.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Will overheating damage a computer. Will its performance die out notably sooner than a cooler computer?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Laptops can become significantly hotter when running certain applications. For example, my own machine gets pretty hot running Skype even if I'm not actually communicating through it.

But just typing messages on this forum using Firefox and it's as cool as a cucumber.

As regards the power plan, I use the default "Balanced" plan which is sufficient for my own needs.

As you can see from the performance page of this review of your machine, the processor is a higher end type which can run a lot hotter than other types so there's no need to be concerned: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/asus-n550jk-1268298/review/3

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 4, 2024 Views 8,415 Applies to: