New Computer with Trial McAfee Livesafe Software

I have just purchased a new HP Pavillion Computer with a 30 day free trial subscription od McAfee Livesafe software.  I downloaded MSN Premium, which includes McAfee software (not Livesafe), and I am wondwering what happens when the trial subscription expires.  Does the MSN McAfee software automatically take over the security requirements of my computer?  Thanks.

Nope, that would be too easy :)

When the trial is over, the trial of McAfee will start bugging you and asking you to purchase the subscription. You'll want to go into Control Panel and uninstall the Trial McAfee Lifesafe.

It's actually very bad to have more than one antivirus installed at once, they can conflict and cause big security holes, and even if not, they slow down the computer significantly because everything is trying to scan every file that gets used. So they compete against each other and lock files for scanning and it just cascades until your computer is very slow.

My personal recommendation is to avoid McAfee and just use the Windows 8 built-in antivirus (Defender).  Windows 8 is the first one that has this, and it's quite good (same protection used by giant businesses like Dell and Microsoft).  Plus, you never have to pay for Defender, because it's built in.

Of course, if you prefer McAfee, there's no reason NOT to use it.  You can certainly keep using it as long as you want (Defender will politely turn itself off when it sees that you have another antivirus installed).

So long story short:  if you want to use McAfee, just be sure to uninstall the Live Safe one and install the proper MSN one when your trial is over.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks so very much Shawn for your helpful advice.  If I decide to use Windows Defender and don't download the McAfee provided with MSN, do I have to do anything to enable Defender or does it automatically engage?  Thanks

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello BartonEwait,

Windows Defender runs by default in Windows 8 unless you install another anti virus application. It is the 'other' anti virus that turns Windows Defender off. As you have not installed a third party anti virus application, Windows Defender is already running so there is no need for you to do anything.

Personally, I always suggest that McAfee or Norton applications are not used on the PC as they do have a tendency to slow the PC down and use far more resources than Windows Defender. On a lighter side, though, why pay for McAfee or Norton when you have Windows defender for free?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer: www.winuser.co.uk | vistasupport.mvps.org | xphelpandsupport.mvps.org | www.silversurfer-guide.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks John for your advice.  Should I uninstall the trial subscription of McAfee now to automatically activate Windows Defender?  Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It should automatically engage.  You can confirm by typing "defend" on your Start screen to find and open Defender.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello BartonEwait,

Yes, uninstall the McAfee software. As Shawn has pointed out, if you leave the McAfee software on you are only going to get nag screens asking you to pay for a new subscription. Removing McAfee will prevent the nag screens appearing.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer: www.winuser.co.uk | vistasupport.mvps.org | xphelpandsupport.mvps.org | www.silversurfer-guide.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

McAfee has a nasty habit of leaving behind modules when uninstalled manually or via control panel, that can in turn cause conflicts with the replacement AV.

To avoid this scenario, it is best to use the removal tool linked below.

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Download the MCPR tool from: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Take time to let us know if the suggestion worked...or not.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 15,541 Applies to: