network printer cannot be contacted over network

I installed via the network an HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw to a local computer, running Windows 7 Pro. It successfully installed, and I downloaded and installed the newest drivers. Everything looks hunky-dory on the surface, but when I try to print a test page nothing happens. After 20 or 30 seconds, the error symbol pops up over the printer in Devices and Printers. When I troubleshoot the problem, it solves the "document in queue cannot be printed" error by deleting the document (which I can also do, but it does the exact same thing the next time I try to print), but a secondary error that troubleshoot cannot fix comes up as "HP LaserJet MFP M426fdw cannot be contacted over the network".

If I run a USB cord and extender across the room from the computer to the printer, everything works just fine. It is a network printer though, and the cord across the room defeats the purpose and causes a mild safety hazard. I've tried every trick I know, I've read the other forums that are similar, and I've been directed to Microsoft's "Why Can't I Print?" page too many times to count.

I haven't tried to install the printer on any other computer, as I ran into this problem on the first one.

Thanks!

Amanda

Update: I have successfully installed it on the computers in the office that connect via WiFi, but the Ethernet connections throw up that same error.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

We appreciate your effort and time spent in resolving the issue.

As you are still facing the issues with accessing the printer device under Ethernet connection, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to remove the printer, re-add and check if it helps.

Reference: printer cannot be contacted over the network

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whenever you have problems printing to a networked printer, the first thing to check is whether the port assigned to the printer on the computer uses the same IP address as the one assigned to the printer by your router (assumes the "networked printer" is actually connected to a router and not just a shared resource connected to a computer on the network).

To check:

1. Right-click the icon for the printer in Devices and Printers and select "Printer properties."
  2. Click the "Ports" tab
  3. If the printer is connected to the router, the checked port will look something like the following (that is, it should be a "Standard TCP/IP Port" or possibly an HP TCP/IP Port with an IP address).  You may have to expand the "Port" column as shown below in order to see the complete IP address:

4. Now that you know what IP address the computer "thinks" the printer is located at, use the printer's front panel controls to display the IP address that the printer is using.  See your printer's User Guide for instructions.

If the printer has been assigned a different IP address (by your router's DHCP server) than the one configured on the computer, the print job will go nowhere.  Usually, the job just disappears from the queue without a complaint, but perhaps the newer printer drivers have become cleverer about noticing this problem.

If that is the problem, the solution is to configure the printer with a static IP address and then uninstall/reinstall the printer so that the computer uses that new static IP address.  If this is, in fact, your problem and you need help in configuring a static IP address, post back.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

69 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 14, 2020 Views 31,347 Applies to: