Network Error 0x800704b3 Windows 7

I recently received a virus on my PC which knocked out several parts of my OS.  I have, over the last couple of weeks, been slowly repairing it.  It appears that I've got most of it worked out now, except for my inability to access my Network.

I set up my Network from scratch and it worked fine for years.  I am running a Windows 7 Ultimate HP Quad Core, 1GB Realtek Network Adapter (RJ45).  I uninstalled the drivers, then reinstalled three times, to no avail.  I rebooted my PC, created a new user logon, in addition to a few other things that I can't remember right now (Windows Diagnostics included) and no fix.

I am getting the error code 0x800704b3 when I try to connect to a computer on my network.  This includes using the computer name, or the IP address (\\SERVER or \\10.16.1.10).  I can ping the different PCs using the command prompt and I get 100% replies, but when I try to connect in a Window, I am told that I cannot connect and that the server or computer is not available.

Quick Edit: All the other PCs on my network work just fine and have no issues connecting to the other computers (except mine).  My IP address also seems to keep falling back onto 169.254.194.88, despite the fact that I didn't type this in, and none of the computers or servers on my network have anything near this IP Address (thus my idea of the Virus - though I do not know for certain - I used Security Essentials, MalewareBytes, MSERT, Kaspersky, to name a few to clean out the computer, but there didn't seem to be any viruses on the computer).

Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Thanks.

Dante

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2019 Views 11,536 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I ran into this same thing. 

Run a clean install.  Backup your files first, then run a clean install and start from scratch.

Install and update your Virus Software, and when it says there is a virus, CLEAN IT, don't ignore or allow for any reason.

If you want to try something that is possibly a virus, use a virtual machine instead.  Virtual Box is free and a good one, Microsoft also has a Virtual Machine product that, I believe, is free.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.