Network Adapter Suddenly Stops Working

I have a problem where I suddenly lose network connection. Sometimes I regain it after a while, but most often my network selection, after freezing up for a bit, shows no available networks afterwards, and the device manager stops displaying my network card. Restarting fixes this, but not the overall problem.

I have of course tried multiple ways of fixing the problem, such as:

• Reinstalling and updating the driver
  • Downloading and installing the driver directly from the vendor's website
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling the network card itself
  • Performing a network reset
  • Uninstalling other software and devices that I suspected might cause conflicts

None of these seemed to change anything.

I do not think that there is an issue with the physical card, though I really don't know much about the hardware so I can't be sure. The card does however have an LED on it that I assume is supposed to indicate whether it is connected, and it stayed on even while I had no connection shown on my PC.

The network card is an ASUS PCE-AC88 802.11ac, and I am running Windows 10 version 1909.

I am totally lost here and would appreciate any help!

Hi

My name is Lester and hopefully, this will help answer your question, I completely understand the issue, moreover have you try all possible steps on resetting the internet connection? like releasing and changing DNS? if not you may follow the steps below:

Method 1:

First, I would suggest you to run in-built network adapter troubleshooter and check if that helps. Follow the steps below to run network adapter troubleshooter.

Press Windows + X and then click on Control panel.
Select Troubleshooting and in the left pane select View all.
Now select Network Adapter and follow the on screen instruction.
Make sure you have updated the latest version of Network Drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Method 2: Update Network driver.

Press Windows Key + X and click on Device Manager.

Search for Network Adapter and expand it.

Right click on the Display Adapter and select Update driver and follow the prompt

Method 3:

If the issue persists, run the following command in command Prompt (Admin). Follow the steps below to do so.

Press Windows Key + X.
Click on Command prompt (Admin).
Type the following commands, and hit Enter after each command:
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
netsh winsock reset and press Enter
netsh int ip reset and press Enter
ipconfig /release and press Enter
ipconfig /renew and press Enter
ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter

Method 4: IP and DNS Setting
Type ncpa.cpl in Windows start > Right click on your network > Properties > Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Hit properties > Make sure below ones are checked
Obtain an IP Address Automatically
Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

Try Open DNS
Preferred DNS server : 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS server : 208.67.220.220

If none will work from the above solution I suggest to do an in-place upgrade wherein it will upgrade the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

Note: before doing this make sure to create a restore point: https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/402753...

1. go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

2. Select Download tool, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.

3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.

4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.

5. After downloading and installing, it should fix the issue.

Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Let me know how does it goes and I hope that helps.

Lester
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

First of all, thanks for your response!

I forgot to mention this, but I had already tried running the troubleshooter multiple times without success, and I have also updated the driver.

I ran the commands you listed; Unfortunately I can't immediately tell if they have fixed the issue as it occurs randomly as I mentioned.

I am also having trouble running the windows installation media, as it only shows the windows logo for a while and then closes without an error message.

For now though I'll wait and see if the problem reoccurs; If it does I'll try get the installer to run. If somehow even that fails to fix the problem I'll update you here, though at some point I might just have to try replacing the hardware.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thanks for replying, yes if the last solution O wrote didn’t work, that could possibly a hardware issue, but as of the moment let’s see if the issue occur.

Thanks,
Lester

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nicholas Christoph Roether,
go to Device Management> network adapters, select your network adapter in use, click on the Power Management tab, clear the check box: Allow the computer to turn off the device to save energy.Click on the Advanced tab, disable any related option to save energy, MIMO Power Save Mode or set to No SMPS.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi franco,

I have seen this solution online, but when selecting my network adapter, it doesn't have a power management tab. Why might this be?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lester,

I have been using my PC for a while now since I last wrote, and I have encountered the problem once. Though rarer than before, it doesn't seem to have been fixed.

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a hardware problem to me; I'm pretty sure that most of the software interacting with the adapter (i. e. the driver) has been replaced by now without solving the issue, apart from the operating system itself, that is.

I am debating right now whether I should upgrade my windows as you said or try to narrow in on a hardware issue.

The thing here is that as I already stated in my original post the adapter seemed to continue working even while I had the issue, and I already tried connecting the adapter to another expansion slot in case the one it was on was broken, so even if this was a hardware problem, I'm not quite sure where the issue would lie.

Perhaps I'll try to perform the windows upgrade overnight as I don't really have the time for it right now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nicholas Christoph Roether,
it is likely that your network card does not have the power saving option, have you also looked in the Advanced tab of the Device Manager? Can you post the screenshot? What is the wi-fi standard used by your router, 802.11n, 802.11ac or 802.11ax?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 12,019 Applies to: