Need Administrator Authority To Copy, Paste, & Delete Files In Windows 10

My Windows 10 login name and password does not have Administrator Authority.  How do I elevate to Administrator Authority?  Otherwise, what do I need to do to create a login name and password to Windows 10 that does have Administrator Authority?

Hi, James.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern, we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you follow the steps mentioned below to change your Current User Account into Administrator Account.

1. Click on the Start Menu, locate and click on “Settings” which is located on the left menu pane.
  2. Then click on “Accounts”, locate “Family and other Users” located on the left menu pane.
  3. On the navigation window, you will be able to view all the accounts that have been created in your computer. Click on the account that you choose to switch to administrator account.
  4. You will find the option to “Change Account Type”, click on it. Then you will find a drop down list where you can change the account from standard to admin. Make the changes to your liking and restart computer.

Hope this information was helpful. Please let us know the status of your issue so that we can assist you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I clicked on “Family and other Users”.  However, there is no list of accounts!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I discovered something I hadn't noticed before.  I marked a group of files and right clicked on the group to select an action.  I noticed a "Run as administrator" choice in the list of options.  I selected this option and I was able to perform actions that I couldn't previously.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2024 Views 4,487 Applies to: