Mysterious .SES file in Temp folder

I accidentally came across a mysterious file in the \AppData\Local\Temp folder. It doesn't have a name but the extension .SES with the size of 1 KB. I noticed that it refreshes itself every 10 minutes exactly, where it keeps the same name and file size but the Modified Date changes to the current time. I Googled the file extension and supposedly it's related to Adobe Audition in some way. I never installed Adobe Audition per se, but I do have multiple Adobe programs installed on my Windows 10 computer. So it isn't unlikely that a different Adobe app could have generated this file. I have no way to track it's origin though or identify which app has generated that file.

I was able to delete the file in question from the Temp folder with no problems and rebooted my device, but it was soon recreated with the same behavior of refreshing every 10 minutes. The original file I deleted had a creation date that goes back to Feb 2021, which means it was already on my device for nearly a year and half without noticing any performance or security issues for that long. I ran multiple scans using Windows Defender and it didn't detect anything unusual.

I'm wondering if anybody knows which program creates this file, and whether it is safe to discard it.

Update: I used Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal (https://opentip.kaspersky.com/) to analyze the file and it didn't detect any threats of any kind.

Thanks.

* Moved from Virus & Malware

Answer
Answer
Hi RamyA,

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

Files in the Temp folder are generally not related to malware, they are generated by Windows and all the software you run on your PC many Adobe applications, not just Audition are known to create SES files, rest assured this is nothing to worry about, you have performed the correct steps to check that file and it was not indicated as malware, your system is safe.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 8,207 Applies to: