My Seagate usb 3.0 expansion + does not work in Windows 10

My Seagate expansion drive worked well in Windows 8.1.  When I upgraded to Windows 10, it failed to recognize.  It does not show up in the explorer window at all.  I can see it under control panel - Hardware and Sound - Devices and Printers.  It says "Status: Driver error".  When I right click on it and click troubleshoot, I have the option to reinstall the driver.  This does not solve the problem.  I have also downloaded the driver from Seagate; however, there are no option for a Windows 10 driver that is different from the Windows 8 driver.  I really need access to these files.  Any help is much appreciated!!!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you follow the below the steps and check if it helps:

If no updated drivers available then try installing the available drivers in compatibility mode.

Refer the steps:

1. Download the Drive from the manufacture’s website, Right click on the setup file and select Properties.

2. Click the compatibility tab, tick the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows.

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The drivers are onboard and there do not seem to be drivers to download from the manufacturer for use with Windows 10.  Here is the link to the seagate information on drivers for this external harddrive:

http://www.seagate.com/

When I click control panel - Hardware and Sound - Devices and Printers, I can see the drive.  It says "Status: Driver error"  I right click on the drive and click troubleshoot.  I am given the option to reinstall device driver.  I click "apply this fix".  The message I receive says "Troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of the issues found. You can find more details below."  Below is says "USB attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device has a driver problem.   Not fixed."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If the above hasn't fixed your problems, a couple of questions:

1.  Does your drive work in any of other USB ports on your machine?

2.  Do other devices, like a flash drive, work in any of the ports that are causing the problem?

If your computer is an ASUS system, uninstall AiCharger+ if it is installed.  This has fixed several other users' problems. 

And if you are still experiencing this problem, please file a feedback bug using repro mode with the feedback app as described here (note, repro mode is only available to those who are part of the insiders program): http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2015/08/17/filing-usb-feedback-with-repro-mode-in-windows-10.aspx and include the following in the bug:

1. If the issue is happening all the time or only after certain events (such as waking from sleep)
  2. If all your ports are not working, or if this is only happening on a specific port

Thanks!

Kristin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The drive does not work in any of the usb ports. It does, however, work in my windows 8 machine. 

All of the ports recognize my usb 2.0 flash drives and my usb mouse.

The event happens all the time, not after particular events.

The computer is not an ASUS machine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And the drive did work in this machine before upgrading to windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still not working... I have reverted to using my drive on a computer with a previous version of windows.  The drive functions properly.  The usb ports on my windows 10 computer function properly with other devices.  None of the solutions above have resolved the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry that none of these have solved your problem.  Let me know if you did submit a Windows Feedback.  I will find that and have the Busses team take a look at it. 

Thanks!

Kristin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2024 Views 2,924 Applies to: