My PC turns on by itself during the night (SOLVED)

I've seen similar questions already posted, but I had to ask since they're kinda outdated.

In the evening I'd put my PC to hibernation. Browser and XAMPP are on. And around 3:15-3:45 at night it would turn on by itself (and wake me up). Not every night, but often. I turned of Wake on LAN (at least I think so) as suggested on other threads, but it still turns on. It's most probably network related, for last two nights I've put it on hibernation and unplugged the network cable and it didn't turn on.

I think this started with 1909 update, but I couldn't be 100% certain, I didn't use hibernation much until a month ago.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I've found a bunch of possible solutions on different forums, check my reply below. It worked for me.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 340
RAM: 4GB
GPU: ASUS R5 230 series

Hi Milutin

You are correct, this problem is most always caused by the 'Wake on LAN' setting, can you please check that again . . .

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button

Expand the Network Adapters section

Make sure to select the correct Network Adapter, then right click that and choose Properties

Choose the Power Management Tab f the resulting dialog

Turn off all three options on that tab

Then, click the Advanced Tab

Scroll down in the Property box and select 'Wake on Magic Packet' and ensure that it is disabled in the Value list box then click OK

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok, so this time I've unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Power Management (others were already unchecked) and in Advanced "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on magic packet when syst..." (rest is covered) were already at Disabled from my previous attempts, so I've disabled the "Wake on pattern match" also. I'll test this combination for two nights and I'll come back to give you an update.

If someone else has a different idea, feel free to post it.

Thanks, Dave!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Milutin

Okay, please let me know how you get on . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sad to say that it didn't work... :(

I'm attaching to this reply a screenshot of my network adapter's advanced settings. Only now I've realized there's an option on the list called "Shutdown Wake-On-Lan", which I've disabled now and we'll see what happens tonight.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Milutin

You are correct, this problem is most always caused by the 'Wake on LAN' setting, can you please check that again . . .

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button

Expand the Network Adapters section

Make sure to select the correct Network Adapter, then right click that and choose Properties

Choose the Power Management Tab f the resulting dialog

Turn off all three options on that tab

Then, click the Advanced Tab

Scroll down in the Property box and select 'Wake on Magic Packet' and ensure that it is disabled in the Value list box then click OK

Sadly, it didn't work...

Question is still open

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've dug over the internet and found a bunch of possible solutions. Proud to say that it worked! I don't know which one, but for a reader of this it may vary. Here are all of them:

• Go to your Device manager and uncheck every Wake-On-Lan (WOL) option there is at your network card's Advanced tab. Also go to your mouse's settings and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer". [This one's already mentioned in this thread]
  • Go to Control Panel and find Backup and Restore (Win7), check if there's any scheduled automatic backup, those might wake the computer up.
  • Go to Task schedules by using run window on taskschd.msc command. Check the Task Schedule Library to see if there's any task that's allowed to wake up the PC.
  • Open command prompt as admin and type this to see if there's something scheduled to wake up the PC:
    powercfg /lastwake
    I did this and found that SystemEventsBroker is scheduled and it's allowed to wake up my PC.
  • Based on the last point, there are couple of possible scenarios. One option is to check your BIOS/UEFI for a setting(s) regarding WOL or Magic Packet. Make sure they're disabled. It can also be a driver issue or OS maintenance time (Start > type: Maintenance > pick: Security & Maintenance > expand: Maintenance > Change maintenance time).
  • Correlated to the command prompt point, I found on another thread on MS Answers (see here) this principle: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Change Plan Settings, then Change advanced power settings. There, search for Allow wake timers under Sleep option. Disable that.
  • On the same post on MS forum, there's this reply I was too tired to try:

Use this psexec:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec

Navigate to the required folder, and execute the following command:

psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc

Next. navigate to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

After disabling it, change the permissions on the file C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Update Orchestrator\Backup Scan or Windows will re-enable the task. You need to change the owner to Administrators, click OK, then edit the permissions and set each principle to just Read.

--

Go through all of them and any that say "wake the computer to run this task" ... disable !!

I found this solution and it works for me... but you will have to do again every now and again!! Save the command.

This one requires you to install a program though.

That's all that I've found. Good luck!

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

PULL THE POWER COORD.  My PC booted up 7 times in one night last week.  Now I just unplug the damn thing before I go to sleep.  SOME OF US SLEEP IN THE SAME ROOM AND HAVE JOBS.  STOP POWERING UP MY PC AT 3 AM!!!!!

168 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 62,213 Applies to: