My pc gets stuck in a Startup Repair & reboot loop on startup after i did an update for windows 7.

My pc gets stuck in a Startup Repair & reboot loop on startup after i did an update for windows 7. I should also note that this issue started just after the update when my AVG antivirus suddenly crashed because of a bad .dll file. I uninstalled it then rebooted, but when I went to type in my password to log in nothing happened...as if keyboard had died. I reboot it again and that's when I got stuck in the startup repair loop. 

The PC is an ASUS model CM1630 with a factory installed Windows 7 32-bit OS. So I do not have an original windows OS CD. I also have no backup boot CD or DVD because I never made one. Yes I know that's a huge mistake but I'm learning as I go along here. I have no option for creating a backup CD or DVD using another PC, nor do I have an external hard drive with a Windows 7 OS to attempt to boot from.

Startup repair cannot repair it automatically. Details show a bad driver but does not specify which. However, I have noted that when I hit F8 during startup & attempt to start in safe mode it hangs at AtiPcie.sys, which is a graphics driver, and then it goes right back to startup repair. 

It would not start up in safe mode at all regardless of which option of safe mode I chose. It would always loop right back to startup repair. 

I have attempted a system restore through the Startup Repair Advanced Options & System Recovery Options menu. It only shows one restore point (which can't be right because I set up restore points on a very regular basis to avoid incidents such as this). I did select "Show more restore points.", but it still had that only one restore point listed. 

I scanned for affected programs and drivers, but it detected none. 

When I started the system restore it ran, then reported " System Restore completed successfully", it showed the date and time of the restore point, and instructed me to click the restart button to restart the computer. During restart it would not start Windows normally, and it went right back to startup repair.

Under the Advanced Boot Options menu, I attempted to boot with the last known good configuration, but it loops right back to startup repair again. 

I also attempted the Directory Services Restore Mode under the Advanced Boot Options, but while loading Windows files it hung at AtiPcie.sys, then it attempted to boot in safe mode - Directory Services Repair, but then looped right back to startup repair. 

I also ran the windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, using the extended diagnostic, & default cache setting, but that detected no problems.

I have read probably 100 threads on this topic. Some suggested deleting AtiPcie.sys through command prompt & that it would reload during my next attempt at restart, but 1 I don't know how to do that, & 2 I'm afraid that doing that may make things worse. 

Other threads suggested renaming AtiPcie.sys to AtiPcie.sys.old in command prompt, stating that it would allow windows to load completely, & I'd be able to download a new AtiPcie.sys from http://www.dll4you.com/files/Atipcie.sys.html, http://www.sysfilesdownload.com/A/AtiPcie.sys.html, or 2-3 other similar sites, but I don't know how to renaming AtiPcie.sys to AtiPcie.sys.old. In command prompt.

I tried sfc/scannow in command prompt, but it says "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again." The system repair is not fixing the problem , and a reboot is not working, so sfc/scannow probably will not work at all. I've tried sfc/scan like 20 times back to back but it will not work.

I've even looked into possible options using my android phone via USB connection to fix the problem, but I couldn't find anything on that.

I believe I've covered everything I've tried.

I run a home businesses with my PC, & every minute it's down I am losing money. I have been at this for 3 days with no success. I'm trying to avoid spending money unnecessarily in a repair shop, but I'm beginning to believe that I have no other option. Someone please help. There has to be a way to fix this without taking it to a shop.

Similar problems since trying to install the latest updates. They have failed to install and caused the router to loose internet connection. This means rebooting the router and resetting the TV catchup every time.

Any solutions out there ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

****Please refrain from attempting the steps you described below. Never install files other than those offered by your system manufacturer.***

"Other threads suggested renaming AtiPcie.sys to AtiPcie.sys.old in command prompt, stating that it would allow windows to load completely, & I'd be able to download a new AtiPcie.sys from http://www.dll4you.com/files/Atipcie.sys.html, http://www.sysfilesdownload.com/A/AtiPcie.sys.html, or 2-3 other similar sites, but I don't know how to renaming AtiPcie.sys to AtiPcie.sys.old. In command prompt."

Now,

Looking at the specs for ASUS model CM1630, I find that you do indeed have integrated ATI/AMD Graphics and, taking you description of the symptoms into account, it may be malfunctioning. There are only two  ways that I know of to fix this.

1. Sending the unit in ASUS for repairs, so they can fix the integrated Graphics.

2. Purchase a different GPU, Nvidia for example and install it in on one of the (Preferably the 1 x PCI-e x 16 )expansion slots available to you after disabling the integrated Graphics in BIOS .

Here are you system specs.

http://www.asus.com/Desktops/Essentio_CM1630/specifications/

Support for ASUS Essentio CM1630

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=CM1630

Take time to let us know if the suggestion worked...or not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Similar problems since trying to install the latest updates. They have failed to install and caused the router to loose internet connection. This means rebooting the router and resetting the TV catchup every time.

Any solutions out there ?

chivchiv

To avoid any confusion, please start your own thread with a clear description of the issues that you are facing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok now I am really confused. I don't understand how going to the expense of replacing the GPU is necessary when the problem is simply a damaged or accidentally deleted driver. That's like replacing a perfectly good webcam, keyboard, mouse, or any other hardware when all it needs is a new driver to run it. If I could access Windows and the Internet I'd simply go to the ASUS website and download a new driver for it based on the specs. Obviously that's not an option in my current predicament though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I covered both scenarios, hence the link to your system's support page. If you think reinstalling the driver is all you need, rather than going to third party sites, refer to the support link.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just confused. I will take your suggestions under advisement & explore both options. Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Turns it's the OS. Its a disaster. Has to be reloaded. Thanks for your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Pleasure, and good luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2020 Views 1,039 Applies to: