My laptop won't use the microphone in my Apple headphones.

I have a pair of Apple Earbuds (headphones with a microphone and a 3.5mm jack) and an MSI GT75 Titan. When I plug the headphones into the "headphone" jack, I can hear sound through them instead of the onboard speakers, but when I plug them into the microphone jack, my laptop still uses the onboard mic instead of the one in the headphones. They seem to work on my iMac, though. I am using a Realtek audio driver, but I can't find it on Realtek's website and on my computer, it just says "Realtek (R) Audio", not "Realtek HD Audio" or something like that. Also, no matter where I plug the headphones into my laptop, it doesn't show them in the list of devices - even when I plug them into the 'headphone" jack where the headphones part works properly. Can someone please help?
Answer
Answer

I just looked at your laptop's manual.

It has line in jack, line out jack, headphone jack and microphone jack --- NONE of the jacks are combo TRRS jacks. So of course plugging your headset will not activate the headset's microphone.

You can either buy a lav mic or buy a y splitter for your non-apple headset (video at 3:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vCu5NvmnNc

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 6,057 Applies to: