My laptop won't boot at all, I have managed to force in safe mood but hangs up at \\DRIVERS.avgidshx.sys

The laptop has seen better days, and I was in the process of transferring data to a new laptop, but now that venture has stopped for now - help please
|

Hi Richard,

How are you transferring the data?

AVGIDSEH.sys: This file must be related to AVG software installed on the computer.

Let’s try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Step 1:

Unplug all the external devices connected to your system (except the Keyboard and mouse) and check if it helps.

Step 2:

Since you are unable to boot in safe mode, let’s try performing Last known good configuration and check if it helps.

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP

Method 2:

If the issue persists, let’s refer to the article and try the steps provided to fix the issue:
Advanced troubleshooting for general startup problems in Windows XP

Note: The above mentioned link contains steps to run check disk.While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Important: Modifying BIOS (Basic input output system)/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Note: The above mentioned link also contains steps to perform a repair (in-place upgrade) installation. Performing a repair (in-place upgrade) installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer; however you may take a backup of the important data before performing an in-place upgrade.

Hope the information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2017 Views 205 Applies to: