My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer

My recently had problems which, I think, stemmed from my internal hard drive being corrupted. So I reset my PC by doing a custom windows installation. It now works, but now my HDD cannot be detected. Additionally, I bought a new SSD but that also cannot be detected.

The drive I can access properly is my old SSD. There is a new drive available (which I think is my new SSD?) but for some reason, it only shows 871 MB of space instead of 500 GB. My HDD is nowhere to be seen.

Whenever I open disk management, it asks me to initialize a drive, but it always fails due to an I/O error.

I attached a few pictures which I hope would help clarify the situation.

You have 2 disks:

• A 120 GByte disk.
    Most of the space on this disk is taken by drive C:. This is why very little is left for drive D:.

• A 500 GByte disk
    This disk is unallocated. If you get an I/O error when trying to format it then it could be defective. Or maybe its cables need to be reseated.

If you believe that you have a third disk then you need to check if it is visible in the BIOS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Can you try to create a new partition with the unallocated 465gb ? The second 871 mb partition is part of the first drive (you only have 2 disks here).
Could you also show a screencap of the error message ?
I'm waiting for your feedback ^^

Have a good day

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply!

How do you partition the drive? Do I need another program for that? Also, is it possible to combine both partitions of my first drive?

Here are the error messages, both MBR and GPT lead to the error message.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply!

I tried switching around the cables a couple of times, and it still stays the same. I'm trying to put of the notion of a defective disk first since I just bought it today.

I unplugged my third disk (HDD) for the meantime since my priority right now is my 500GB SSD. However, when it was still plugged in, it was seen in the BIOS. Speaking of which, in the boot order priority, I can only put one disk, either the 120GB or the 500GB one in the priority list. Is that normal?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Creating a partition should be an option when right clicking the unallocated disk space. To merge the partitions, delete the D: then right click C: and extend it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried switching around the cables a couple of times, and it still stays the same. I'm trying to put of the notion of a defective disk first since I just bought it today.

You should not put if off. It might be a case for a warranty claim. I would test it on a different PC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 3, 2021 Views 144 Applies to: