My computer won’t show login, only blue screen? I have

My computer, HP elite book 840 is stuck on the Windows Blue Screen. When i press ctrl Alt delete, no login appears.
Hello ,

-> Try to boot into the recovery environment, if possible, and then performing a startup repair.

To access the recovery environment, turn your computer on and off three times. While booting, make sure you turn off the computer when you see the Windows logo. After the third time, Windows 10 will boot into diagnostics mode.

Click Advanced options when the recovery screen appears.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Then, click Startup Repair.

-> If you are unable to perform a startup repair, then try using your Windows 10 installation media to fix the boot error.

After booting into setup, choose the Repair Computer option > Troubleshoot > -Advanced Options > Command Prompt. If you are using a recovery drive, click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

Once you have the command prompt up on screen, you will need to issue a set of commands to find and resolve issues that might be preventing your computer from booting.

Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR and hit <Enter>.
Next, type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT then hit <Enter>.

If you are seeing an error such as Boot Manager is Missing, then the BOOTREC /RebuildBcd command might be able to fix it. This operation can also restore boot entries for older versions of Windows if you have a dual boot configuration.

If BOOTREC /RebuildBcd does not work, then Microsoft recommends you back up your BCD (Boot Configuration Data) store, then run the BOOTREC /RebuildBcd command again. Here is how you do it.

Type each command then hit <Enter>:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

-> If None of These Options Work try salvaging your data and then reinstalling Windows 10 and your applications.

Let me know how it goes.
Best wishes,
Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Virginia, please try this:

Start your PC, just as Windows attempts to load (spinning dots), press and hold Power Button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a Hard Shut Down

Do this twice

On the third start Windows will boot into the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt . . . etc.

Please try each option one at a time, then see of Windows will boot . . .

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Startup Repair
See if Windows startup can repair itself

Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - System Restore
Check to see if you have a restore point you can go back to

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 4,336 Applies to: