My Computer thinks my drawing tablet is a mouse, how do I fix this?

I use a Wacom Intous 4 tablet and recently upgraded to Windows 10 which had worked until I decided to clean and reset my computer. 

I installed the latest driver through the official wacom website. It tells me it installed perfectly and I'm able to click and move around with my pen. However there is no pen pressure

I check through the Wacom Tablet Properties but I keep getting the "The Tablet Driver was not found" message. And tried reinstalling the driver many times. Uninstalling, restarting, and installing. Still the driver cannot be found. 

Then I looked through the device manager and found that my computer thinks my wacom tablet is a mouse. Making it usable as a mouse but not a tablet like I need it to be. I tried updating the driver software through the device manager but my computer thinks and insist its already on the correct driver as a mouse and not a drawing tablet. 

What can I do to fix this problem so I can properly use my Wacom Tablet? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

We understand your concern and will certainly assist you to solve it.

Please answer the below question for better understanding of the issue.

1. Is the Tablet connected to the computer using a Wireless or Wired connection?

2. What is the make and model of the computer?

3. Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

Please be advised the issue you face might be caused due some device profile mismatch thereby resulting in the issue. If you are using a wired connection to connect the tablet to the Computer, please do the same and follow the below steps.

Step 1: Hardware troubleshooter.

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which checks the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues and provides the details on how to fix them. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

1. Type Troubleshooting in search box and open it.
2. Click on Hardware and Sound
3. Click on Hardware and Devices.
4. Follow the instruction.

Now, please restart the system and follow the below step.

Step 2: Check the status of the device in Device Manager. 

Please follow the below steps to troubleshoot.

1. Press Windows key + X key and select Device manager.
2. In there, select the Mice and other pointing devices and check if the tablet is present.
3. If present, right click the driver and select the properties and in the general tab, check the status of the driver.

Also, please install all the latest available updates and check if the issue persists. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Windows Update may have updated drivers available that may be relevant to your current issue. Many times, updated drivers are listed in the "Optional" section of Windows Update. Install any pending updates on the pc to check if that helps.

Please let us know if the issue got resolved or you need any further assistance.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Tablet is connected with wired connection. 

2. When you say "make" did you mean System Manufacturer? It's Hewlett-Packard. System Model: p2-1334 

3. All updates are installed

I tried all the steps as well. 

Through the Device Manager it says "the device is working properly" but is not. 

When I try to update the Driver Software i get a message saying "windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date." 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

We would ask you to provide with the screenshot of the device manager window showing the status of the driver. To know how to include a screenshot in your post, please follow the below link.

Now, You can also try creating a new account and check if the issue still persists. Please follow the below steps to create a new account:

a. Type Settings on the search bar.
b. Click on Accounts.
c. Go to Family and Other users, in that click on Add someone else to PC.
d. In there click on Microsoft Account. There give a name to the account and provide password if you want.

Please let us know if the issue got resolved or you need any further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem still occurs when I switch to a different Account. Made a new one and still doesn't work. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Thek,

Thank you for your continued patience on this issue and for providing us with the important details regarding the issue.

From the description provided that Windows is unable to configure the drivers for your tablet device.

At this point, I suggest you to deploy the Driver Verifier and check if it helps to identify any driver related issues in Windows.

Windows has in built Driver Verifier as well to identify problematic drivers. The Driver Verifier Manager, tests each specified driver at startup. If it detects a problem, it identifies it and then stops it from running. Here's how:

1. Type verifier in Windows Start menu Search box and hit Enter.

2. Navigate to Create Standard Settings > Click Next > Automatically select unsigned drivers > Next.

3. At last you have two options Cancel or Finish.

• If you click on Cancel, no changes are made to your system configuration.

From the list which is presented, you can manually try to Roll back, Update, Disable or Uninstall the Driver.

• If you click on Finish, then restart the system, you may be presented with an error message.

This will include the name of the buggy driver along with an error code.

4. Now reboot the system in Safe Mode with Networking to update, disable or uninstall the particular driver.
(Safe mode with Networking starts Windows in safe mode and includes the network drivers, services needed to access the Internet or other computers on your network).

5. Type verifier/reset in Windows Start Menu Search and hit Enter to disable the Driver Verifier Manager.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Re: Wacom tablet Windows thinks its a mouse. This may or may not work for you I do not have the same tablet but I think the principals will be the same for Windows.

I don't know if you got this resolved yet but here nor there even if you did it may help others. Wacom graphics tablet and pen should show under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager.

Hello, I just upgraded to Windows 10 in-place-upgrade from Windows 7 Home in February 2016.

I could not use my Wacom graphics tablet model GD-0608-U (U= USB) on Windows 10 was not recognized as plug and play like some other Windows OS did.

This is what I did:

Before installing any drivers Windows must recognize the hardware (the Wacom tablet). If you have any leftover Wacom drivers installed they must be removed in Device Manager this will allow a clean install again of the drivers after Windows sees a USB device (see further on).

Make sure you know where the drivers are you know you need (say the updated ones you downloaded to your desktop from Wacom but have not yet installed) and besides the drivers on the Wacom installation CD).

First:

I plugged in my Wacom tablet to my PC USB 2.0 port and opened Device Manager and looked under Universal Serial Bus Controllers to see what was listed under USB device (this is where Windows 10 did recognize a USB device just not what device nor gave it a name, since the drivers were not installed yet).

I saw many named USB device listed and while Device Manager was open I unplugged my Wacom tablet from the USB port and Device Manager reset noticing the last two USB Devices in Universal Serial Bus Controllers on the list had disappeared.  

I knew then Windows 10 was recognizing a USB device but I had not yet installed the drivers from the Wacom installation CD (or any updated drivers you may get from Wacom site), so Windows Device Manager will not show the name of the device(s) just yet under Human Interface Devices.

I plugged the Wacom tablet back in to the USB port (don’t know if I need to but I did).

I ran the CD that came with my Wacom tablet. I had to go into File Explorer and double click on Setup.exe. The drivers installed successfully. I removed the CD.

I then had an updated driver from the Wacom website that I downloaded to my desktop.

I double clicked on that Wacom driver download on my desktop and it installed successfully.

Now I knew my Wacom tablet was working because even on my monitor (desktop) moving the Wacom pen on the tablet I could move the arrow cursor with my Wacom pen on my PC monitor desktop.

I decided to look again in Device Manager and now under Human Interface Devices I have lines that read, Wacom HID Digitizer, Wacom HID Pen and Wacom HID Virtual Driver.

I opened my Paint Shop Pro x2 and tried to draw a picture and it is working.

Now as far as other add-on’s that are available or may work with the Wacom Tablet, I have yet to find those. It’s been about a year since used my Wacom on Windows 7 on same PC. I originally was on XP when I bought my Wacom graphics tablet, oh my about what? Year 2000?

Good Luck to you, I know I was pleased I just hope crazy Windows 10 has a good memory and does not forget what I did (unlike other crazy things Windows 10 upgrade forgets).

Wow this MS community reply needs to have a spell checker, had to re-do three four times. LOL

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us and we are glad to know that the issue is resolved.

We also appreciate your support towards our Community members of Windows 10 users. This solution in particular would help people who are facing similar issues in Windows.

Feel free to write to us in future on any issues in Windows operating system and we would be happy to assist you again.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Look at the poster's names Sayan_Ghosh. It's TheKao that asked for help not Hip3zioed. I've got similar problem and I am waiting for solution.

183 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also still having the same issue.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, me too... Did someone found a solution for this problem?
I've never had this problem until 2-3 weeks ago, and I've already used it with Win 10 before successfully.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 81,975 Applies to: