My camera is working in zoom but not working in the camera app or at Windows atart-up/sign-in

My camera no longer works when I am starting up my laptop and signing into Windows. The light doesn't light up or anything, and when I open the Camera app it doesn't work. I thought it was a hardware issue but then I tried Zoom and it works there. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the camera app and it didn't help. I have done a reset in the Camera app settings, the app permissions are turned on, I have checked that I have the most up-to-date drivers, and I have allowed access to the camera in the privacy settings. There is no camera button or switch on my laptop.

|
Hi. My name is Lester, and I am an Independent Advisor. I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue. I'd be more than happy to assist you.

Is this a built-in camera or an external one?
When did you first notice the issue?
Have you already tried uninstalling the camera driver from your Device Manager and then downloading and installing it from your PC manufacturer's website? Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's a built in camera. I fist noticed the issue when it started having trouble with the camera when I was logging into my laptop. It was set up to use face ID to login, but the camera light would flicker and it would say the camera isn't working and I had to sign in using a PIN. After a while the light stopped flickering altogether and I've switched to just PIN login. The camera seems to work for Zoom, however I had a Teams meeting a while ago and the camera wouldn't work for that - but I've just tested it with Teams now and it works with that now. It just won't work at login and through the Windows Camera app.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows app, but I haven't tried uninstalling the driver. How do I go about this? Device manager seems to only offer me th option to uninstall device. If I click on driver details it looks like there are about 20 driver files. See screenshots

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply. On your screenshot under Cameras, right-click the HP TrueVision FHD RGB-IR and click uninstall. When prompted, click the uninstall again to confirm. Restart your PC then check.

If the issue persists, go to your PC manufacturer's support website and download and then install the camera driver available for your device. Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Unfortunately this did not resolve the issue. I downloaded and installed the driver but Windows Camera is still not recognising my camera

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update. Please try performing a clean boot to see if the issue persists in that state.

A "clean boot" starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with the issue.

Press Windows + R, type msconfig, and Hit OK.

On the Services tab of System Configuration, check Hide all Microsoft services

Click Disable All. Select Apply.

On the Startup tab of System Configuration, click Open Task Manager.

On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each Enabled startup item, select the item and then click Disable.

Close Task Manager

On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select OK.

Reboot your PC.

Source: https://support.microsoft.com/topic/how-to-perf...

If the issue is not occurring there, scroll down the Microsoft article and look for 'How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot,' and follow the suggested steps to fix the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I had a busy week. I tried the clean reboot and the problem still exists. So I went to the section 'How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot,' but it only tells you what you can do to determine the problem 'If your problem does not occur while the computer is in a clean boot environment', but my problem does occur in a clean boot environment

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 36 Applies to: