My Anti-Virus Program is blocking Windows Update, does it have a virus? Help I need a Real technician?

Hi,

I have a McAfee site advisor add on tool that tell me whether a site is safe, dangerous or in the middle. I tried to install Microsoft Updates for my computer but it tells me that it has a virus or unwanted program in the download. I have never got this message before and it makes no sense since it is coming from the companies website that built this computer, especially to make it safer. What do I do? I tried calling the company and there is a strange noise coming from their line. I need these updates because my computer could shut down without them.
|
So does the windowsupdate site give you any errors?

I wouldnt rely on Mcafee. What firewall is installed if you installed one (besides the windows firewall)?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've never used the browser add-on for McAfee Site Advisor, but the web version reports -- not surprisingly -- that microsoft.com is OK:  http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/update.microsoft.com

So ... from where did you download the McAfee Site Advisor tool?

What telephone number did you call?

On the other hand, Site Advisor is supposed to warn you if a particular site is "dangerous" before you download anything (at least, that's how the online version works).  If you're getting a warning when you start to download something, that sounds more like your antivirus software rather than Site Advisor.  What is the name and version of your antivirus software?  What other "security" software is installed (names & versions, please)?

What version of Windows (XP Home, XP Pro, etc.) and service pack (none, 1, 2, 3) do you have?
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mcafee is a problem for windows OS...

1st,make sure only one firewall is on at any given time,shutoff xp or

mcafee.2nd,in mcafee firewall,edit the exceptions list,allow windows update.

3rd,mcafee checks for updates every 5 seconds,shutoff auto update,update

manually once a day or so...

Edit mcafee properties...

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The McAfee siteadvisor tool is totally independent of the anti-virus program itself. I downloaded and installed it from McAfee 's site :siteadvisor.com. It is a great tool don't get me wrong but it scared the **** out of me. I do not want to download anything nasty on to my computer so i was very cautious and trusted the program. Today it did the same thing again but before that Windows installed updates by itself without me having to go to the website. I allowed the download and nothing (yet) happened to my computer. It stated that my computer was up to date. Thanx for your concern, but you can't trust any program, even if it was designed by Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2021 Views 8,745 Applies to: