Music suppressed in Zoom on Windows 11

Our church replaced the laptop that is used to host Zoom meetings for our church services. With the new computer, speech comes across fine, but music (organ, singing, etc) is completely suppressed. Group prayers (multiple people speaking at once) are also suppressed. The new computer is an Acer Aspire, with Windows 11. Our old computer ran Windows 10.

When we watch the input bar in the audio settings in Zoom, it drops to nothing when music starts up, which makes me think that the issue is happening before it gets to Zoom

I've read that there is a new feature in Microsoft Teams that suppresses sounds it does not consider to be speech -- I wonder if this is related to our problem somehow?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi!

I'll try to help you.

This happens due to the characteristics of the computer's microphone. The best option in this case is to use an external microphone.

All best!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We have tried this both with an external camera/mic and with the integrated mic in the laptop. We get the same result with both -- as soon as music starts, the audio is suppressed.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to disable noise suppression inside zoom and enable original sound for music (i.e. better than plain speech setting).

https://pfs.org/zoomperformance/

If you don't have those settings inside your zoom app, you have to sign into your zoom account using your browser and enable the permission to have those settings to be available in your zoom app. Then you go back to the zoom app and enable those settings.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, should have mentioned in original post -- we do have "original sound" turned on in Zoom, and have specified minimal noise suppression (same as what is recommended in the article).

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

New acer computers should come with realtek audio console app to configure the laptop's audio driver. It may have additional premium audio software (like DTS or Dolby or Waves MaxxAudio app). The only Realtek feature I can think of is the karaoke feature where the computer can strip the singing voice off the song so that you have just the background music for you to sing. Or that laptops may have configuration tools to pick near field vs far field mics. Far field mics are generally for things like cortana or google assistance to listen to your voice 10 feet away asking for the weather instead of 2 feet away from the webcam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCKtuQxzX8

Some laptops can let you pick near field mic when you are sitting down doing a webcam meeting or pick far field mic when you are talking and writing on the blackboard 10 feet away.

Many of these tutorials are for music lessons (i.e. 1 to 1 piano lessons), so they are geared towards the free zoom account.

If you are a church broadcasting things, then either you have a paid zoom account --- which paid accounts have additional features that these tutorials would not touched upon. I am not even sure whether broadcasting church service should use zoom in the first place (i.e. it's more or less designed for 2 way teleconference). May be easier to do a youtube live broadcast. Don't have a clue.

Ask other churches what they are doing.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry. I'm out of ideias. Let's see if other users can help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I'm Robinson, and I’m happy to help you today.
I know how frustrating this may be for you but I'll do my very best to help you.

This should be caused by the "Suppressing background noise" in the Zoom setting.
1-In the Zoom desktop client, click your profile picture, then click Settings.
2-Click the Audio tab.
3-Under the Suppress background noise section, select the level Low.
Low: Noise reduction will be minimal. It will block low levels of persistent background noise.
Note: This setting is best for casually playing music, as it will preserve as much of the original sound as possible.

You can see more information at this link.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/36004...

For highest fidelity when playing music, consider using the Enable Original Audio setting in your advanced audio settings.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/11500...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products).

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We tried all of the suggestions for the various Zoom settings, downloaded the latest drivers for the laptop, experimented with audio setting on the laptop, but nothing worked. In the end, we installed Windows 10 on the new machine, and the issues with music and group speech cleared up -- sounds better than ever now.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We solved this in Zoom on Windows 11 in Audio, "Advanced settings" by turning off "signal processing by Windows audio device drivers"

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I’m having the same issues! I figured it was windows 10. Thanks for posting all this info. Glad you (and I) figured it out. Was a very annoying couple of months!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 8,459 Applies to: