Multiple instances of Microsoft Search Indexer running

Windows 10 - Windows Explorer and other programs are lagging.

There are (I think) more than 100 instances of Windows Search Indexer running. I've run the troubleshooter and the following is the result so far:

When I say hundreds of instances, here are two screen shots from the Task Manager. Note the elevator in the right scroll bar.

Clicking on End Task does not seem to do anything, but who would know?

Final Note: This is after a shutdown and then startup.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It turns out that End Task is doing something, but I'm not sure I should be clicking on it.

Clicking on it about 100 times did move the elevator box in the scroll bar almost half its height. So it was eliminating that many instances.

BTW, Cortana is turned off if that matters.

Edit: I may have been mistaken when I said that it was eliminating instances. Current count after clicking end task more than 1000 times is 1,296 (54 screens of 24 instances).

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've clicked on "End Task" over 1000 times.

I've noticed as I did this that the Task Manager statistics for One Drive went up every once in a while and that the first instance of the search indexer every once in a while became very active, at times taking disk activity up to 99%.

I first started noticing this shortly after I activated One Drive, but I do not know that this is anything more than a coincidence.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Charles,

Apologies for the inconvenience and I will be happy to answer your query. I appreciate the effort made by you to fix the issue.

SearchIndexer.exe is the Windows service that handles indexing of your files for Windows Search, which fuels the file search engine built into Windows that powers everything from the Start Menu search box to Windows Explorer, and even the Libraries feature.

You can try the following methods and check the status.

Method 1: Place the computer in clean boot state

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows        

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Method 2: Make SearchIndexer use less RAM or CPU

The best option is to cut down on the amount of data that you’re indexing—there’s usually no reason to index every single file on your drive. You’ll need to open up the Indexing Options through the Control Panel or Start Menu search box to make the changes.

The first thing you should notice is the Pause button on this window, which can pause indexing for up to 15 minutes—useful if you’re trying to do something and Windows Search happens to be in overdrive mode, though it really shouldn’t since it only runs while your PC is idle.

You’ll want to click the Modify button and then trim down the list of locations to just the ones you really need indexed—this can improve the performance of Start Menu search box as well. 

Method 3: Run System File Checker tool

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Press Windows key + X and click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type the following command and press Enter

sfc /scannow

Note: Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Also, refer to: Windows 10 - Accelerate File Operations with the Search Indexer

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I started with the clean boot and that seems to have helped. Now, to restore what was there before and sort things out. I still suspect One Drive.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for update and good to know that clean boot process helped. I appreciate the effort made towards working on it.

You may want to create a thread under OneDrive category to find the best possible answer regarding OneDrive.

Do feel free to write to us in case you have any issues/concerns while working on your computer, we'll be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm back. Have to figure out what is doing this.

How do I turn off Windows Search Indexer? I do not want to do this, but may have to do so.

Currently have 20+ instances running so I am about to do another clean boot.

What follows are the running background and Windows processes. I am hoping that someone may have a clue as to which one(s) may be causing this problem.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines: 

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Cleanupimage

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Write to us with the updated information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried DISM but it stops after 20%. How long should I let it try to continue?

I do not know whether it matters, but when this was happening, the computer was not connected to the Internet.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Charles,

It does not require internet connectivity.

Also, did you try another clean boot to check if the behavior changes? If it does, try disabling/enabling 3rd party services one by one and check which ones are actually causing the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did try another clean boot. Is the behavior to which you refer, running the DISM? I have not checked that.

Would starting Windows in safe mode help?

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2020 Views 2,378 Applies to: