Multiple installs, different results with Windows 7 SP1 CD on same PC

My experience is extremely bizarre.

I'll make note of my system first excluding monitor and GPU:

Asus (Asus P6X58D-E) legacy mobo with SATA 6 support 

1 Seagate HD from 2011

1 Seagate HD (non SSD) new from 2020 -SATA 6 connected (AHCI)

1 Seagate HD (non SSD) new from 2020 -SATA 6 connected (AHCI)

Total HDs: 3

I went ahead and did a fresh install of Windows 7 using the recently downloaded iso from Microsoft after I entered my product key. My system was running the same image from day one: 2010 and everything (hardware wise) was working ok including the time I installed the two Seagates this year. Except I realized the PC installer from 2010 installed my original Seagate not in the SATA 6 but in SATA 3 port of which I changed to SATA 6 when I installed the (two) new HDs in 2020. I have all the latest drivers for my system.

At that point, I noticed the two new HDs were connected to SATA 6 but appeared in my notification bar as hot-swappable. Fortunately, this was simply an annoyance because I couldn't actually disconnect them from Windows (even though I tried). I get nominal SATA 6 speeds when connected to the SATA 6 ports. I had to change my BIOS selection to boot from one of the new HDs. I verified in the BIOS that AHCI mode is on.

The install itself was very fast compared to my CD when I installed the iso on a USB. However, things didn't turn out so well upon further examination. I installed my mobo drivers and all other drivers including video drivers after Windows finalized my desktop.

Once I finished the above, I proceeded to do a Windows update. After Windows Update (WU), updated itself to allow me to download and install the updates, I had a sheet load of failed updates after Windows searched. 

I rebooted, tried again, and most of the errors remained. I had to spend a great deal of time to find the updates manually. I gave up halfway to take a break. I then noticed in the notification panel the two HDs still show as hot-swappable but can't be disconnected. 

I manually downloaded WUs one by one and installed as many as I could. I installed (or tried to) install cumulative update packs but often I was UNsuccessful. I kept on getting many failed errors even for Windows Defender virus definitions.

Eventually, with perseverance and finding the "correct" order to install the updates, I was successful in installing all the Windows updates. This is crazy, not even WU knew the correct order of updates.

At this point, I imaged my Windows installation with a third party imaging application. But with all the rebooting and failed updates, I wasn't happy with this installation.  I tried again, a few times and WU failed me again. Each installation seemed to provide me with more failed errors despite performing a fresh install and ensuring the HD partition is deleted and allowing Windows to create it.

My third attempt at installing Windows was even more bizarre. Not only did I have issues (again) with WU despite recording each step and the priority of the updates (many updates that I downloaded said they didn't apply to my PC when they did. I was becoming really frustrated. I again took a break and I installed a HD utility which I always use. The utility displayed ALL my HDs as hot-swappable. And this time, I actually could disconnect (eject) them through Windows like they were a USB drive. I could see my HDs disappear one by one as I "ejected" them.

Suffice to say, this wasn't acceptable. I resorted back to my successful image I created earlier. I then ran my HD utility. I noticed it shows my two SATA 6 HDs as SSD when in fact they are not. They also show up in my notification bar as hot-swappable but they can't be ejected (a good thing). The same application never showed my HDs as SSD, ever. The HDs do NOT show up as SSD (normal).

I have no idea what's going on and why such discrepancies. I was never given the option by Windows to install any third-party drivers during the installation process. Three things are most disturbing:

1. why do the two SATA 6 drives appear as hot-swappable when they are correctly identified in the BIOS and I reinstalled Windows

2. why does it appear that WU is crippled (at least in Windows 7). it doesn't know the order of updates and falsely says the updates don't apply to you

3. why is that there is no [unofficial or official] Windows 7 SP2 iso that has every single update (in the proper order of installation) up to and including Jan 2020 when Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7

Thanks to everyone who replies and Merry Christmas.

I have a very specific system to do this.  I have done it on literally hundreds of PCs of many vintages, components and ages.  This system works every time flawlessly.

SATA 6 Vs 3 is a hardware port and has nothing to do with Windows installation.  Connect ONE hard drive and remove all others.  If you want to add drives do it much later after the installation and updating is completed.  Use the SATA 00 port for the C: drive

Of course USB is faster than DVD for the install.  They work the same.

After the install starts, select Custom.  When it comes to the place where it asks where to install, click Advanced.  Delete every partition.

After installation is complete, check Driver manager.  Windows 7 installer will install most of the drivers it needs and those should be left in place.  No need to attempt to "update" them.  IF the system cannot go online because it has no network driver, install that driver.

Your only valid source of drivers is the OEM of the hardware itself.

Follow the detailed process I outlined here:

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/canadian-tech-how-to-rebuild-a-win7-system-with-minimal-snooping/

Follow it exactly, precisely as shown.  Do not vary from it.  Critical:  Do not install anything not even AV until AFTER all updating is completed.  After all updating is completed, go back to Device Manager.  Install any missing drivers now.

I can almost guarantee a complete installation and a resulting system that will run as long as the hardware and software support lasts.

After all this, you can add drives.  If you have completed the system image as I laid out, you can even restore that image to a different drive, as long as the new drive is the same or larger capacity.

I look after about 120 Win7 systems which have been installed and run this way.  Not one of them has had a WU since May 2017.  They run flawlessly.  Not one has ever had a problem of any kind.

One critical point.  Make certain you are working with good drive hardware.  A 2011 hard drive is either failing now or will be very soon.  The life expectancy of a desktop (3.5") hard drive is about 7 or 8 years.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I don't know what to tell you about the drives showing up as removable when they are not..

This may be the result of a Windows Update and\or a Bios Update..

I have machines that I routinely switch between Windows 7 and 10.. I'm thinking at least one of the Windows 7 machine does as you describe.. Not the false SSD classification..

The exact same machine and hardware does in fact show ALL internal drives as "Removable" in Windows 10.. For the most part I get an error if I select to Remove them.. I wouldn't worry about that..

As far as the Windows Updates.. They can be very erratic if you try to install too many at a time.. There are several of them that I actually block (Hide).. Like you, I hate doing a clean install and then end up with failed Windows Updates.. Even if they install properly later..

I have developed an installation pattern that rarely fails.. If you want to try it or not is up to you.. I normally install all driver updates before messing with Windows Update... Here are the notes from my installation last year.. My most recent..

Windows Update...      First Check Must Install Update for Windows Update... Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320
                   KB958488 (Update For Windows)
Available Security + Important... 194 @ 1,702MB    Hide Possibly Ten Updates
                Optional... 9 @ 25MB

Install Internet Explorer 11 For Windows 7 @ 91MB..

I normally do these in small batches as well, but this time I did them all without issues...

Install Security + Important... 119 @ 275MB + Optional... 2 @ 20MB...   No .Net, Cumulative, or Drivers..

.Net Framework 3.5.1...  2011 - 2014...  20 @ 152mb...  

.Net Framework 3.5.1...  2015 - 2016...    7 @ 20mb...

.Net Framework 4.0...     2011 - 2013...  12 @ 230mb...

.Net Framework 4.0...     2014 - 2015...  10 @ 73mb...

.Net Framework 4.7.2 Initial Install @ 65mb

2017-09 Cumulative .Net 3.5, 4.5, etc...  KB4041083 @ 21.5mb

2017-11 Cumulative .Net 3.5, 4.5, etc...  KB4049016 @ 21.5mb

2019-07 Cumulative .Net 3.5, 4.5, etc...  KB4507420 @ 25.7mb

2018-05 Cumulative .Net 3.5, 4.5, etc...  KB4099633 @ 21.7mb

2019-07 Cumulative .Net 3.5, 4.5, etc...  KB4507420 @ 25.7mb Again..

There were a few more updates after this.. I think I remember that there was a Cumulative .Net Update from late 2019 or early 2020 that may have failed repeatedly and I did not install..

These are the Updates I blocked and the reason..

Note...  KB2852386 Enables Disk Cleanup To Clear Old Windows Updates

KB2952664    Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214    Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows

KB3021917    This update performs diagnostics in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in order to determine whether performance issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft for those computers that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program

KB3035583... WIN 10 PROMO....This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).  

KB3068708    This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded.

KB3075249   Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.This article describes an update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

KB3080149   Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry. This article describes an update for Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB3112343  Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: December 2015. This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience.

KB3123862    Updated capabilities to upgrade Windows 8.1 and Windows 7... This update adds capabilities to some computers that lets users easily learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10.

KB3172605    July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1...The July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 was re-released on September 13, 2016 to address an issue in one of the included updates and to improve the overall reliability of the update rollup. Installing this update requires a restart after installation.

KB3179573    August 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1... The August 2016 update rollup includes some new improvements and fixes for the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 platform. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines.

KB4493132    Windows 7 SP1 support notification... After 10 years of servicing, January 14, 2020, is the last day Microsoft will offer security updates for computers running Windows 7 SP1. This update enables reminders about Windows 7 end of support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I forgot to mention... Some Seagate HDDs have a small 8gb or so integrated SSD.. Most are 2TB in size and are referred to as a SHDD.. Perhaps you have a couple of these..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Canadian Tech and slance310! 

How would I know which is the SATA 00 port? Is that SATA 6 00 port? I've attached a pic.

Looking now at my Windows Computer Management console for Disk Management, my original [slower] SATA (not 3/6GB) is at Disk 0.  

I noticed during the Windows installation my CD/DVD drive is flaky despite very little use over the years. My older HD was replaced under warranty once and HD Sentinel says I have over 1000 hours left, working perfectly and it has a little over 54 days of power on time.

I've looked into my issue more and there might be a motherboard/BIOS issue at play too with the newer drives. However, dang ASUS has not provided any documentation whatsoever aside from stating what the new BIOS updates do. Feel free to provide your insights. The link is here: 

https://www.asus.com/me-en/Motherboards/P6X58DE/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I originally complained back in 2010 to my PC builder (you may have heard of them, CT — NCIX) that the drive back then showed up as hot-swappable. I returned my tower to them and they "fixed" the issue, but in retrospect, they didn't. They just connected the HD into the other blue SATA 3 port to make the notification disappear. All these years my HD was slow and it didn't occur to me to double check their work and to ensure SATA 6 was being used. 

I recall flashing the BIOS years ago and the NEW settings/options were radically different from the previous BIOS version. Even the online mobo manual remains the same as my original. I tried the "Load defaults" option but my system wouldn't boot even after I manually changed my RAM settings to match the same with the previous working BIOS version.

Searching online for the BIOS new settings including optimal values and definitions were futile. There were so many different settings/options it would take me literally a day or more to look up each and every [new] setting. I downgraded back to my original BIOS 0303.

To make things even more frustrating, ASUS has remained silent over the years to my support requests for BIOS documentation. Even now, their official tech support forum is terrible and you can't register for the ROG (Republic of Gamers) forums as it has chronic issues with their registration process. They decided to name it that way...for gamers it seems but it's for tech, product support too and registering your ASUS hardware. 

I saved both your replies in my Google Keep. Let's hope Google doesn't get rid of that. I have saved at as readme.txt too. I really appreciate your helpful responses. Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Two remarks:

There should be a number of SATA ports on the MB.  They should be labeled 00, 01, 02, etc.  00 is usually the primary and if the MB and BIOS or equipped for SATA 6, that port should perform that way.

DVD drives fail often.  They are also cheap and easy.  Last time I bought some they were $20 Cdn.  Easy to replace.

DVD should be connected to a higher number SATA port since DVD speed is such that SATA 6 would be of no consequence to that device.

Oh, another, I had some problems with some SATA ports that I resolved using SATA cables that have a locking feature on them.  They are slightly higher priced, but give a much firmer connection.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It appears that you do not have a SATA 00 Port.. That is just the way ASUS has their numbering set up..

Your's are 1-4 instead of 0-3..

You will notice that the top two are a separate chipset and are the faster 6gbps and the lower four are Intel Ports at the slower 3gbps speed..

You would be better off to put your boot device on the Gray Marvell Controller if possible... Some machines will allow booting from the 3rd party chipset and others do not..

I found the info concerning the Hot-Swap\Removable drive issue.. Page 2-29... It mentions that if the SATA Controllers are set as AHCI it makes them Hot-Swappable if the drive supports it.. The AHCI setting provides better performance and is usually required for a SSD should you ever install one..

It can be a problem switching them from IDE to AHCI or vice versa once there is DATA on them.. Especially the Windows drive..

CD\DVD drives can get flaky just due to the rummer drive belts and etc getting old.. Dust on the Laser can be an issue.. A lot of them can vibrate a lot do to alignment issues, but usually that is just that particular CD\DVD and\or how it loaded..

I find flash drives are normally considerably faster..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It appears that you do not have a SATA 00 Port.. That is just the way ASUS has their numbering set up..

Your's are 1-4 instead of 0-3..

You would be better off to put your boot device on the Gray Marvell Controller if possible... Some machines will allow booting from the 3rd party chipset and others do not..

I found the info concerning the Hot-Swap\Removable drive issue.. Page 2-29... It mentions that if the SATA Controllers are set as AHCI it makes them Hot-Swappable if the drive supports it.. The AHCI setting provides better performance and is usually required for a SSD should you ever install one..

CD\DVD drives can get flaky just due to the rummer drive belts and etc getting old.. Dust on the Laser can be an issue.. A lot of them can vibrate a lot do to alignment issues, but usually that is just that particular CD\DVD and\or how it loaded..

I find flash drives are normally considerably faster..

Hi again. Thanks. My main boot drive (actually) both of the new HDs are connected to the grey 6 GB ports. But the PC installer went and put them to the blue instead of telling me that hot swappable was the norm.  It seems like you just can't trust many people these days to have solid work ethics.  

I recall years ago I had issues with running Windows install CD from a boot USB flash drive. But with the help of Rufus that's now changed for the better. I use Acronis 2019 to backup my HDs but it's a boot CD. I have now created an Acronis iso and saved it for future use and will "burn" it to USB when necessary.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2021 Views 14 Applies to: