Movie Maker 2.6

Someone wrote that there were able to obtain a copy of Movie Maker 2.6 from a member of the Community Forum, this being the last secure version apparently.

Don't know whether that's true, but would like to get it if so.

Snickersnee

I'm not sure where a download of Movie Maker 2.6 still exists. It's basically an update to Movie Maker 2.1 from XP so that it works on Vista or later.

You can download Movie Maker 6.0 which is similar (has a traditional timeline) but it is slightly better in terms of support for .mp4 files and in using the GPU for rendering of effects and transitions. It also uses memory better and there is a 64-bit version.

As for the later Movie Maker 2012 which has a non-traditional wrapping timeline, you can find archived copies of that using the link above. It has even better support for .mp4 files (even as an output) and automatic "ducking" of audio. However, it does go back to a 32-bit version rather than a 64-bit version.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, consiiderate guy

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.  I am a Luddite when it comes to computers, so bear with me. 

I downloaded the exe installer file for Movie Maker 6.0 (64 bit).   But when I tried to install it, it was configuring it for Windows 7.  I have Windows 10.

And of course, it wanted to know if I wanted to download it from this "unknown publisher"

Are you confident that this guy is on the up and up?  Just checking.

And does configuring it for Windows 7 make a difference.  Will it run on Windows 10?  Would I be better off with the 32 bit version of Movie Maker 2012?

FYI, I don't need a lot of fancy video editing.  I'm an actor, and primarily need it to trim and edit video auditions, and save them as mp4 files.

Regards

Snickersnee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, that download is good, but from what you described, especially in wanting .mp4 output, I would use Movie Maker 2012.

Where to get a Safe Download of Movie Maker

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks,

What I've done is download the exe files for both Movie Maker 6 and 2012, but have only applied the 6 one since that has a 64-bit version.   I presume I can simply start the 2012 one if the 6 one isn's quite what I need.

Meanwhile, after viewing other things on Blaine's website, I am persuaded that he runs a good website--didn't mean to disparage it, but I've had my computer wiped out once by clicking on an online link, so I'm leery of almost everything.

Thanks,

Snickersnee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 15, 2023 Views 857 Applies to: