Mouse will wander across the screen on my laptop regardless if wireless mouse is on or off.

The mouse wanders across screen, laptop, windows xp pro sp3.  has done it in past then stopped.  Now doing it again.  does it with all products, w/wireless or with touch pad.  Does it with wireless mouse detached.  Does it all the time.  The longer the pc is up, it moves faster on the screen.  The wandering stops the screen saver from kicking in.  Removed and reinstalled mouse intellipoint 7.  diagnostics say mouse is working properly which is true for all features except wandering across screen.  It wanders up to top of screen.  PC 8 years old.  Runs fine except this problem.

Original Title: mouse problem

"or with touch pad"!!!

This suggests to me that you are using a Mouse.....with the Touch-pad still 'activated' when you're using the Mouse. On a lap-top/note-book.

Don't. This is what is causing the mouse's errattic behaviour.

Disable the "Touch-pad", via the Device Manager......whenever you're using the Mouse, and this erratic behavour should stop.

Enable it, again.................for those times when you use the lap-top/note-book in a 'mobile sitiuation'.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your suggestion cookie.  You are correct that I was using the pad and the mouse at the same time.  I've been dong that for years.  But now I have a problem so I took your suggestion and removed the pad in the device manager.  The problem still exists though.  Any other thoughts?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi jeff,

You might check to see if an updated BIOS firmware and chipset drivers are available from the laptop manufacturer.

You can also perform a clean boot to see if a startup program is causing a conflict:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately the disabled button is grayed out in Device Manager Windows 7.

"or with touch pad"!!!

This suggests to me that you are using a Mouse.....with the Touch-pad still 'activated' when you're using the Mouse. On a lap-top/note-book.

Don't. This is what is causing the mouse's errattic behaviour.

Disable the "Touch-pad", via the Device Manager......whenever you're using the Mouse, and this erratic behavour should stop.

Enable it, again.................for those times when you use the lap-top/note-book in a 'mobile sitiuation'.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Jeff, the only other suggestion I can offer, is,....................that in you REMOVING the TOUCH-PAD, from the Device Manager program, the MOMENT you turned OFF your computer (ala lap-top!)........the OS (operating system) REINSTALLED the Touch-pad (w/driver) back into the Device Manager program.

It will, therefore, continue to create HAVOC.....with the EXTERNAL Mouse that you (and, others) will try to keep on using. As it (the OS) will always REINSTALL what has been REMOVED if it (whatever the part is) has never been removed altogether from any computer.

You HAVE to.........DISABLE the Touch-Pad, within the Device Manager program. (Do not try uninstalling it! as it will jsut keep interfering with the EXTERNAL Mouse.)

Then, use the Device Manager program......................to SET either one up, for use, according to the SITUATION you are in.

The 'Touch-pad'....for whenever you are mobile, moving around!

The Mouse.............when you're at house or somewhere you will be for quite some time!

You either ENABLE, or DISABLE, according to the given situation!

Hey, as long as I have into computers, laptops/notebooks are not my 'thing', okay.

But, I do know that SOME mouse (external ones) do work OK with laptops WHILE others do! I can't tell you off-hand which one do or don't....thats up to you to find out. If you go for a 'cheapie'!, yes, you are asking for trouble.....they work all right for a desk-top computer but not so for any laptop.

Basic controls/basic actions, get it.

Touch-pads are more complicated, so, the external mouse HAS to be, also.

Common-sense, the understanding of my last line..........you should be able to fix your laptop's mouse problem in no time flat.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2023 Views 2,720 Applies to: