Mouse pointer changes to a circle with a centre dot and up/down arrows in it

Hi - I pasting in a question asked before - clearly I'm not the only person experiencing this problem. It's driving me mad! It opens multiple pages when I'm online and makes pages go up and down automatically. Here's the original question posted:

The cursor changes the shape from the arrow to a circle with an up arrow and an arrow down

When I have opened a program like Edge on my Windows 10 PC, the cursor changes form from an arrow to a circle with an up arrow and an arrow down. This new symbol can not activate anything by moving it around with the mouse. To close the open program, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to get to the job list. At the same time, the circle symbol turns into the well-known arrow, and I can continue the work normally.
How do I avoid the annoying circle icon?
Answer
Answer
Hi Jo, my name is Neil, I'm an independent adviser and a Windows 10 user like you.

Sorry you're experiencing problems with your mouse cursor.

This is activated by clicking down on the mouse scroll wheel.

Yes, the mouse scroll wheel as well as scrolling up and down is also a clickable button like your left and right mouse buttons. So pushing down on the wheel will activate the cursor pointer you're describing. Then moving your mouse up or down will make the page scroll up and down faster or slower depending on how far you move your mouse.

Clicking the Mouse wheel a second time will return your mouse to it's normal state.

Some computer mice have a very sensitive scroll wheel where you can accidentally click it down very easily whilst scrolling, so you have to use a lighter touch as not to activate clicking the wheel down.

I hope this answers your question.
Neil :)

475 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2024 Views 69,145 Applies to: