Mouse and keyboard do not work at login screen?

Model: Dell Dimension E521 Windows 7 Ultimate
My PC has no PS/2 slots.

The keyboard and mouse work through BIOS and everything until windows starts up.
Once my PC gets to the "Starting Windows" screen, my keyboard and mouse stop working. (Their power and indicator lights turn off mid-way through the "Starting Windows" screen)

They don't work in safe mode, and I've already restored my PC back to before the problem.  I've tried most of the System Repair options in the CD(they work here).  Nothing wrong with the hardware or start up.

Answer
Answer
Can I ask if there is any way for me to restore registry files and drivers without doing a clean wipe or doing a custom reinstall of windows 7?

EDIT UPDATE: YES! Okay, I've finally got my PC running in safe mode with working keyboard and mouse. I had to restore it to when the keyboard and mouse still worked, then reboot and login. Once I log in I force turn off the computer before the keyboard and mouse stop working (Device install fail). Then I run my PC in safe mode and it works.

Currently backing up my files, what should I do now to fix the problem? 1 AM edit: The problem has been resolved after much turmoil. Turns out the keyboard and mouse work again now that I rebooted my PC normally out of safe mode.

71 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 82,182 Applies to: