Missing Path Entry To Disable Startup Password......

Greetings--

A little while ago I asked a question about disabling the startup password process, and the lack of "control_userpasswords2" in the new Windows update(s). Below is the response I received - which worked just fine.

However, when I recently went to do this process on a friends desktop ~ she is older and has a problem remembering her password(s) ~ her registry tree did not have <passwordless> in the path - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device.

It was missing.

So, I need to know if there is another way to do this using the above path?

I was going to contact "John DeV" directly, but the reply button was missing from the original correspondence, and, I could not figure out how to contact him directly.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.....

<<<<<<>>>>>>

John DeV

Hello WishBoy14,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Windows user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand you have a problem with "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option is missing.

Please take note that it’s a good idea to have a login password on your computer. Anyone with physical access to your device can view any unprotected data that is on it unless you own a computer in your private home that you're the only one who will use it.

Please try the method below if it helps.

Please try to toggle off "Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts",
Press Start then click Settings(Gear icon)
Select Accounts > Sign-in options
Toggle off "Require Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts"

or

Open Registry Editor then navigate to the following path

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device

On the right side pane, double click DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion DWORD
Change the decimal value to 0
Close Registry Editor
Restart your PC

You will now have the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option under User Accounts/netplwiz

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Hi WB. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

The registry edit is only needed if the box is missing to uncheck for "Users must enter a User Name and Password:in netplwiz when following the method to skip password on the Log-in screen here:
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windows-10-lo...

Is the box there to uncheck? If so then do that and follow the steps there and it will bypass the log-in screen.

If not then let me know and we'll try something else.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 7,977 Applies to: