microsoft will be migrating all emails to outlook in 2024. Will I lose my old emails and contacts?

I have 2 msn.com email accounts for years and need my old emails and contacts and folder in my email. I use a laptop with Windows 10 and a desktop version of office not a subscription.

According to Microsoft: "Beginning in 2024, Windows 11 devices will be shipped with the new Outlook for Windows as the default mailbox application free for all to use. Starting in June 2023, we are beginning the process of migrating existing Windows Mail, Calendar, and People users to the new Outlook for Windows."

Does this mean I may lose my old emails and contacts and email folders in migration. How can I prevent or save for easy access?

Thanks for info. I am not very tech smart.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, I'm Elise, a fellow user like yourself and I'd be happy to help with your issue.

No this will all happen automatically for you, it is basically just merging these separate apps into one.

You won’t need to do anything it will just download automatically for you.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind Regards,
Elise

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have recently changed over from windows mail to outlook. I am happy with how it works for current emails but over the years I have saved a lot of emails in folders in Documents. I cannot seem to access these - it just opens with the calendar page. I cannot bear to lose all these emails. How do I open them. thank you

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The replacement for windows mail and calendar is Outlook (not Microsoft Office Outlook.) .. I tried the new Outlook and like the experience excempt it does not have Pop3.. It only has imap... IMAP seems to lack the feature to read only the email from the server and not remove the message.

Is there any hope that Outlook will get POP3/SMPT before the 2024 launch...

thank you

PS: I also found the conversion to Outlook seemed to leave some folders behind.. I reverted to windows mail and calendar.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The replacement for windows mail and calendar is Outlook (not Microsoft Office Outlook.) .. I tried the new Outlook and like the experience excempt it does not have Pop3.. It only has imap... IMAP seems to lack the feature to read only the email from the server and not remove the message.

Is there any hope that Outlook will get POP3/SMPT before the 2024 launch...

thank you

PS: I also found the conversion to Outlook seemed to leave some folders behind.. I reverted to windows mail and calendar.

Hi Everyone

I've been an MSN.com legacy member for almost a quarter century. And I admit it... I keep many emails... this is the written history of my last 23 years of social media written communication.

I have folders and files and emails... The last time I searched this question: what happens to my folders and files when I convert... I got the same "no real answer" from Customer Support.

I did find a link (misplaced it I'm afraid} that you can archive your folders and files into OneDrive, but no real steps in how to do that, or how to protect your emails.

What I'm asking is do I have any choice but to say goodbye to my thousands of emails over these years? If not, I will have little more than 50 days to find some way to archive some of the most precious ones to me. Customer Service? Are you there?? Frank

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am not a big fan of ONEDRIVE and have gone to great lengths to remove it from my systems (iCloud and Google and Amazon too!).. I have no desire to share all my data will the outside world..

My original question remains.. imap has been added back.. why not re-add pop3/SMPT as well..to the new windows outlook. A new release of software is diminished if it removes existing functionality!

Thanks

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

how can i know that it is converting my older emails automatically to outlook? i cannot bear to lose them!?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same question, plus some detail. I am a 365 subscriber user, but my basic question is the same - that is how can I keep several years of emails in ready access form. I am cleaning up some my life's personal and business activities and need this for the present. When that all in order again, seeing a number of recent years' of history will not be an issue.

At present I can work with archives, and some search tools can even index emails and files inside un-mounted pst files containing historical records of past email dealings.

Will the new system have archive facility and if so will I be able to search across the archives?

I can handle a moderately technical description, and in fact find that useful provided it is couched in plain English when possible or provided with useful plain English explainers to make the jargon accessible.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It did NOT Merge the 2 for me. It stictly changed to outlook. It is COMPLETELY different & does not have a "Junk" file anymore NOR does it have any of my other folders I made on my msn account!

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been forced to change from Mail to Outlook. I previously would download and save emails on my laptop (as in save them as files on windows explorer).

Now I have the new Outlook, when i try to open the saved / downloaded emails on my windows explorer, Outlook opens, but it goes straight to calendar - it does not open the email i had saved and downloaded.

Even when Outlook is already open, I double click on the saved / downloaded email but again it just opens the calendar.

I desperately need to have emails saved and downloaded - setting up folders in Outlook just is not sufficient for my purposes.

I have tried Googling solutions - a lot seem to say 'oh just click on the 'File' tab' - I dont have the file tab. Confusingly it seems there is a difference between Outlook and Microsoft Office Outlook.

Is there a way I can open downloaded / saved emails?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello: I am having a problem trying to keep my Hotmail account. I get the Hotmail account back, but then when I log in later, it changes to Outlook.

Thank You

Philip Paquette

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 12,376 Applies to: