Microsoft technical support scam/ Virtual PC Doctor

I was called by someone claiming to be from Microsoft technical supportringing to alert me about automatically downloaded files that would 'eat' my computer -he used more tech terms but I'm not very computer literate and therein lies the problem! I turned on my computer as requested and followed the procedures that he dictated he then cleaned my computer of the files that had a warning sign against them. It wasn't until the end that i realised that he was actually going to try and sell me security software- after prolonged questioning on my part andwhat I can only describe as  "bullying'' on his part I discovered that he was from Virtual PC Doctor. I refused to proceed any further but now I am worried that he has accessed my computer/ info/ details in some way and do not know what i need to do about it. Help!
Answer
Answer
I was called by someone claiming to be from Microsoft technical supportringing to alert me about automatically downloaded files that would 'eat' my computer -he used more tech terms but I'm not very computer literate and therein lies the problem! I turned on my computer as requested and followed the procedures that he dictated he then cleaned my computer of the files that had a warning sign against them. It wasn't until the end that i realised that he was actually going to try and sell me security software- after prolonged questioning on my part andwhat I can only describe as  "bullying'' on his part I discovered that he was from Virtual PC Doctor. I refused to proceed any further but now I am worried that he has accessed my computer/ info/ details in some way and do not know what i need to do about it. Help!

This a complete scam, and one that's become very common lately. . Do not believe anything such a caller says, do nothing he tells you to do, and hang up on him immediately.

If you let them into your computer, you are now at grave risk for what they might have done there (installed spyware? Identity theft? Stolen passwords?), and I strongly recommend that you do both the following:

1. Reinstall Windows cleanly

2. Change all your passwords, especially those for financial institutions and online stores.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Rachel,

I would suggest that you refer to the following thread for more details.

Please read: Don’t fall for phony phone tech support - Microsoft Answers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2018 Views 3,064 Applies to: