Microsoft Store Apps not uninstalling correctly and still showing in the start menu

My problem is two parts.

1) If I right click a Microsoft Store app in the start menu and click "Uninstall" nothing happens. They only way I can uninstall them is through "Add/Remove Programs" or using Appx in PowerShell.

2) Once I do get the program removed, it no longer shows up in Add/Remove programs, and the Microsoft Store does not show it as installed, but it still shows up in the Windows start menu. Clicking it just opens the "Library" page in Microsoft Store.

This appears to be happening with all of my Microsoft Store apps. Any suggestion on how to fix this?

I have already tried the following:

• Restarting computer

• Re-Installing and then Un-installing app again

• Running wsreset

• Running sfc /scannow

• Running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Running troubleshooter for Windows Store Apps (it did not find any problems)

If I create a new user account they do not show up. But obviously moving my current user account to a new one is a far from ideal solution.

My Windows version is 21H1 Build 19044.1387. The problem was occurring on Windows version is 21H1, I tried updating to 21H2 but that did not change anything.

UPDATE: I also just discovered that if I install an app that is not already in the start menu, it adds the icon to the start menu but clicking it does not open the app (it just opens the Microsoft Store) and uninstalling the new apps removes it from the start menu but does not uninstall it.

Answer
Answer
Hello MM7890,

Thank you for updating me with that information. I apologize that this did not resolve the issue.

Please try this.
Login to the new user account
Open File explorer then Under View > Show hidden items
Navigate to this folder
C:\Users\<username of the main account>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings

Delete all files inside
Once deleted, Restart your computer then login to your main account.

If this does not work, please do the same in the following paths below

C:\Users\<username of the main account>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings

C:\Users\<username of the main account>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\Settings

Kind regards,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2024 Views 863 Applies to: