Microsoft Spotlight is not working windows 10

The lockscreen is stuck on 1 image. In a nutshell, the Assets folder is empty, the spotlight is not downloading images. Even when I manually included some wallpapers in the Asset folder, Spotlight is not using these wallpapers. The result, the lock screen is still the same. 

What I did: tried reset of spotlight, powershell commands, installed Microsoft iso and nothing worked. I basically tried different fixes related to spotlight but in vain

P.S Another thing that is confusing me is the source of my current lockscreen wallpaper. Currently, my Asset folder is empty.

Any idea about how to resolved this

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2019 Views 277 Applies to:
Hi ThourayaAbu
I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor.

A. I am not sure whether you done all the below steps.

Windows Key+i > Personalization >Lock Screen > Change Background to Picture.

Copy following > Windows Key+R > Paste the copied text into Run box and Enter

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy

Rename this folder to something else i.e. rename Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager_cw5n1h2txyewy folder

Copy the below line
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager -allusers | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

Windows Key+X > Windows Powershell(Admin) and paste the above copied text in Powershell and Enter

Windows Key+i > Personalization >Lock Screen > Change Background back to Windows Spotlight

Windows Key+i > Privacy > Background apps > Microsoft Edge and Settings should be ON. If already ON, Off then and On again.

Reboot and make sure that you should be connected to internet to make new pictures appear

Source - Answer of SpaceBAWS - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

B. If above doesn't work - For the purpose of Testing only and let me know the results for further troubleshooting (This is not a solution but a test and after test is over login with your regular ID. If you need, you can delete this new local account) - Create a New User Account and login with this new User Account to see whether problem persists in new account also
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402692...

Do let me know if you require any further help on this. Will be glad to help you.
Best regards
Vijay Verma

Timezone: UTC+05:30, PST+12:30
Availability Hours (UTC) : 05:00 AM - 05:00 PM

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Vijay 

Thanks for the quick and clear response. The first suggested solution is something I tried though not completely. When trying out your solution, I realized that I could not rename the Microsoft Content manager folder. When checking the folder properties, It says that it is a read only folder. When tried to rename, I got the following message. 

Before trying to create a new user, it would be highly appreciated if you advise me how to rename the folder to be able to try the first solution suggested. Thanks a lot.

Sorry this didn't help.

Take Full Control of the Folder
Right-click on the folder that you want to take ownership of > Properties > Security tab > Advanced > Check under Permission tab whether you have Full Control of the folder or not
If not,
Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to
If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box
Click OK
Best regards
Vijay Verma

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Vijay,

Thanks for the support and the response. I think the main reason why spotlight is not downloading pics is the read only of the content manager. I tried to change the read only though I do have a full control but it did not change. As I was researching, I found that "folder keeps reverting to read only"https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-folder-keeps-reverting-to-read-only-on-windows-10/  is another glitch. 

I checked the fix but it was too technical for me. So in a nutshell, the folder seems unable to change, it is always read only.

Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks alot

Best 

Sorry this didn't help.

Is your ID having administrator rights? Can you create a local admin account and see whether it works there (for testing only)?

How to create a local admin account - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402692...
Best regards
Vijay Verma

Sorry this didn't help.

I created another account and made it admin but still could not rename ....same message Can't rename the folder :(.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vijay,

If you'll notice, the error is that the file or folder are in use and opened in another program.

Taking ownership won't do anything to that.

Even if you're owner, you can't change a folder name if the files in it are in use.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello UDiburg,

Thanks for the analysis. The first thread of communication was mainly reporting that my spotlight is not working. The folder content manager is empty. It is not downloading any new pics. My lock screen is stuck on a picture which I don't know its source ( ie from where it is coming). 

I have installed microsoft iso, tried resetting spotlight, i even created another user on my laptop to examine the problem but nothing seems to work. In a nutshell no pictures are being downloaded and even when I put manually some pictures in the content manager folder, my computer seems not to retrieve these photos for usages as a lock screen. Any thought?

Your help will be highly appreciated,

Thouraya

Sorry this didn't help.

Must say that I have no direction.

I also found out that even Slideshow doesn't work.

The only thing that works is Picture.

Sorry this didn't help.

Confirm the issue. I have renamed folder in safe mode and perform all remaining steps but it does not have any effect. 

Sorry this didn't help.