Microsoft Refund Scam

Received numerous phone calls from the following phone number 1-844-386-8965 stating that because Microsoft was no longer going to provide technical support, that I was entitled to a refund.  Today, I decided to call this pestering caller.  When I asked how much the refund was, the gentlemen with an Indian accent said that the refund was $300.00.  He request that I start my computer and that we could proceed with moving forward with getting the refund.  He wanted to get access to my computer.  He said it would take about 15 minutes to get this refund process done.  I told him that I did not have time to stay on the computer for 15 minutes since I had an appointment.  He said he would be glad to call me back at a time that I specified.  I said good bye and have not returned their call.  I caution anyone receiving this type of phone call that it is very likely a SCAM.  

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Received numerous phone calls from the following phone number 1-844-386-8965 stating that because Microsoft was no longer going to provide technical support, that I was entitled to a refund.  Today, I decided to call this pestering caller.  When I asked how much the refund was, the gentlemen with an Indian accent said that the refund was $300.00.  He request that I start my computer and that we could proceed with moving forward with getting the refund.  He wanted to get access to my computer.  He said it would take about 15 minutes to get this refund process done.  I told him that I did not have time to stay on the computer for 15 minutes since I had an appointment.  He said he would be glad to call me back at a time that I specified.  I said good bye and have not returned their call.  I caution anyone receiving this type of phone call that it is very likely a SCAM.  

It is a 100% Scam.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I have received a similar call but the number I got was from (888) 506-1121.  The man had an Indian accent.

They tried to get me in front of my computer.  They offered to call me later when I was not at work and I told them I would review my records and call them back.  No intention of calling back.  

58 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

04 09 19 - just got call at 7:30pm, office phone, to call 844 262 4015 -- microsoft shutting down, etc... So they are still doing it... 

46 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had numerous calls from 804-442-6510.  I did not respond as I knew it was a scam.  Microsoft is a well capitalized company and would not deal with its customers in this fashion.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it May 21 now and they're still at it. I got a call this morning- from a Hindu lady-who said MIcrosoft no longer in business and offering a $399 refund 

I hung up without answering  While I could use the money,  I have no need for another scam.   There oughta be a law...

49 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it May 21 now and they're still at it. I got a call this morning- from a Hindu lady-who said MIcrosoft no longer in business and offering a $399 refund 

I hung up without answering  While I could use the money,  I have no need for another scam.   There oughta be a law...

It not a new thing; they have been doing it for many, many years in many forms.

And you would not have got any $

Most of these scams originate from countries that are outside western law enforcement jurisdiction.

And if you see a local phone number they appear to be calling from, the numbers are "spoofed"

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got two more such calls this afternoon.   ON the second call, I actually pressed "1" to talk to a representative.   When the fellow came on, I proceed to lay an old-fashion Alabama mill-village cussin' on him.  And that's the worst kind. 

He couldn't take it and cut me off.  

But, be damned if they didn't call me again.  

It's like something Donald Trump would be involved in,

JL Strickland

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just received a call and when I pressed 1 for an agent and his name was Dennis Regionson with a thick Indian accent I knew something was up and same thing refund for my $249. program window Logitech and I deserved a refund asked me to hit the windows symbol. and letter r so I told him I was doing it but was actually typing in what happens when I do that request and he said are you typing something I said yes on my laptop keyboard and that I was having problems with my PC it was slow so he kept asking what are you typing and then when I saw scam and said thank you and hung up. the number was 206-946-8186.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My call was a recording  - Patricia Pender she said to call a 1800 number that I have a refund coming to me

as the company has gone out of business. She has tried numerous times to get in touch with me. I have not made any purchases. My computer is a couple of years old. So I knew it was a scam! But they call me 3 to 4 times a day. I am afraid to call the number they gave me because than they will know they got to me. I do not want the calls to pick up in the amount of calls. I have blocked the numbers and another number pops up with the same message. I have reported it This is harassment and annoying! I would like to call that number with an Airhorn handy. -- The number they called me from was 866-260-0275. Do not bother answering  if you get this number.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All I can say is they were cheapskates with all of you. I received aname:- Colette Martin
E-mail:- *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
ph no:- 618-922-3981
Refund Code:- MSSU061017750
Address:- 1870 N. Lick Creek Rd Goreville, IL 62939
D.o.b:-03-21-1951
Bank NAme:- SIU Credit Union
Refund amount:- $1375

Bank Portal request
call at 11:05am from a man. When I couldn't hear him and he found out I was in car, he said he would call back later. 

11:30am I received an email saying it was Microsoft and they were no longer had contract and needed to refund my money. 1350 dollars. Then they gave me all above info and wanted me to login to my bank and they were going to transfer 1375 dollars into my account. I refused and told them to keep the money.

53 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 24, 2024 Views 18,346 Applies to: