Microsoft Office SDX Helper Crash

What exactly is the SDXHelper executable, and how does it affect Microsoft Office?

I have recently started to evaluate the Office 365 suite by installing it on my Windows 8.1 machine.  On at least 3 occasions now, while using OneNote, I have gotten an error message stating:

Microsoft Office SDX Helper has stopped working

While looking around at the foot prints left by the error, I was able to discover that the name of the module causing the fault is Mso30Win32Client.dll and that it seems to have been triggered by a memory access violation, but not much else.  Performing a search with the terms SDXHelper seems to present a collection of articles about potential security issues and other standard template dribble.  I was able to find some general trouble shooting documentation for Office applications that crash or cannot start on the Microsoft documentation web site which presents a workaround, but does not seem to explain anything past the point of what to do to work around the issue.  This leaves me with the question as to why a fairly new installation is failing, and what is the process even doing.  Since OneNote did not crash, I am lead to believe that it is not a critical process.

My first instinct is that this may be related to bad memory in my machine and I should probably run a memory scan one way or the other, but I am curious if this turns out to be some other issue, then to what extent is the SDXHelper a necessary process and how will it effect my Office experience if I am unable to keep it running?

Note: The Office suite was installed on a clean Windows 8.1 image downloaded from the Microsoft.com web site and no other versions of office programs have been installed previously.

***Moved from Unknown/other  / Windows other  / Office 365 Home***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Any response to this yet? We just started encountering the same issue on a hand-full of machines that have NO CHANGES to them for weeks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Microsoft, 

We are also experiencing this issue, please advise!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Microsoft, 

We are also experiencing this issue, please advise!

SDX helper is needed to keep your Office installation updated with the latest features and bugfixes (how ironical :) ).

You can disable it in the Task Scheduler by disabling the scheduled task. It's under Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Office

Or rename the executable, so it can't be run. It's located in c:\program files\microsoft office\root\vfs\programfilescommonx64\microsoft shared\office16\

But it's advisable to keep it running on your system, or at least continue to run it if you previously disabled it.

Some people had luck with reinstalling Office. But that's pretty cumbersome in my opinion

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We had two user instances of this issue. After trying running Windows updates, and running a web repair of the local instances, the problem persisted.  What did work was to uninstall Office 365 Pro on the local machine and use the web load from the user's login to the Office 365 portal to download and install the most recent version of the suite.  Local profiles stayed in place from the previous uninstall and made the reinstall less time consuming.

Given our limited number of instances of the issue this wasn't cumbersome.  Hope this is of some help.

Michael

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We are also having this issue, which started randomly within the last week or two.  Windows 7 machine.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This was affecting our Win 7 PCs only.  I found that the SDX Helper error started when Office was updated to 16.0.12026.20334.

I opened a case with MS about this, and the solution was to rollback to a previous Office build.  It was very simple, but needed to be done at each affected PC.

Open a command prompt with Admin credentials and issue these commands. 
  cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
  officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.11929.20300

When the install is done, open one of the Office apps and disable automatic updates.

Presumably MS will fix this eventually.  We will be replacing our Win 7 PCs by year end, so we don't mind turning off updates.  If it's an issue for you, then contact MS.  

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

After this months MS Patching\Roll-up push, we now have HUNDREDS of Windows 7 machines that are experiencing the Microsoft sdx helper stopped working persistent pop-up.

How do we know that something in this months roll-up is causing this, because we reverted several machines and the issue is gone. However, doing this for almost a THOUSAND machines IS NOT AN OPTION because next months roll-up will be coming up shortly there-after.

We've had a ticket open with MS for two weeks and we are not receiving any real or relavent assistance, recommendations or ownership for that matter. This pop-up is persistent and despite our BEST troubleshooting efforts, there is no end in site. Our end-user Community is OVER THIS and so are we.

I am finding TONS of blogs regarding MANY other Companies experiencing this issue with no end in site. 

Does anyone know what is the Root Cause for this? Solid recommendations on how to fix this? or how to get Microsoft to take ownership and assist us with getting to the bottom of this?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are experiencing this issue too.   I currently have roughly 50-60 Windows 7 PCs and this is happening on a few of those.
Fred D.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If I were you, I would rename the sdxhelper file to sdxhelper.old with a group policy. Sdxhelper is used to update Office 2016 in the background. But as long as you manage the updates yourself with WSUS/SCCM, this won't be a real security issue.

As soon as Microsoft has fixed the issues in a future rollup, you can rename the file back to sdxhelper.exe.

I would not make this issue more complex than it actually is.

Sorry this didn't help.

We have the same problem on many of our clients with Win7 and Office 2016.

Here some informations from different sites to solve the problem.

Not tested till now. Try it tomorrow.

What i can see is SDX Helper is trying to connect to 52.109.88.44:443 (Microsoft Azure - www.office.com) what did not work. Afterwards SDXHelper.exe ist allocate RAM untill all free available is used and than SDXHelper.exe is crashing.

The SDX issue started happening last week, but only on our Windows 7 PCs.  Full Office uninstall, removal of Office reg keys, and Office reinstall DID NOT solve this issue. 

You can disable it in the Task Scheduler by disabling the scheduled task. It's under Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Office
Or rename the executable, so it can't be run. It's located in c:\program files\microsoft office\root\vfs\programfilescommonx64\microsoft shared\office16\

Open a command prompt with Admin credentials and issue these commands. 
  cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
  officec2rclient.exe update user updatetoversion=16.0.11929.20300
When the install is done, open one of the Office apps and disable automatic updates.

Hope something of them is working permanent.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2020 Views 18,253 Applies to: