Microsoft .Net Framework error "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application" particularly whenever laptop comes out of sleep

Hello everyone,

Sometimes when I open my computer up from sleep mode I get this error. I also noticed that sometimes my laptop freezes to the point where I must force a restart and after logging back in I receive the same notification. The solutions I saw online mentioned a couple of programs that were badly written Trojans and to uninstall them, but when I went through the steps looking for them my computer did not have those particular programs to delete. My friend recommends to just wipe the computer and start all over, but I really am hoping it does not come down to that because I don't want to have to install all of my drivers again. Below is the wall of text I get from the error. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quick, the application closes immediately.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 10, position 1. (C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\MSI\SCM.exe_Url_zv0ikcohnhzptbjtykvepncdk0ijftla\13.16.12025.0\user.config line 10) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 10, position 1.

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText(Int32& startPos, Int32& endPos, Int32& outOrChars)

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()

at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip()

at System.Configuration.XmlUtil.StrictSkipToNextElement(ExceptionAction action)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSectionsRecursive(XmlUtil xmlUtil, String parentConfigKey, Boolean inLocation, String locationSubPath, OverrideModeSetting overrideMode, Boolean skipInChildApps)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSectionsRecursive(XmlUtil xmlUtil, String parentConfigKey, Boolean inLocation, String locationSubPath, OverrideModeSetting overrideMode, Boolean skipInChildApps)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSections(XmlUtil xmlUtil)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.InitConfigFromFile()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(Object sender, InternalConfigEventArgs e)

at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.OnConfigRemoved(InternalConfigEventArgs e)

at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.RemoveConfigImpl(String configPath, BaseConfigurationRecord configRecord)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSection(String configKey)

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)

at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)

at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)

at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)

at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.SetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName, Object propertyValue)

at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.set_Item(String propertyName, Object value)

at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.set_Item(String propertyName, Object value)

at MSI.SCM.SCMII.SetECOtoEC()

at MSI.SCM.SCMII.MainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at MSI.SCM.SCMII.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.7.2110.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

SCM

Assembly Version: 13.16.12025.0

Win32 Version: 13.016.12025.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/SCM/SCM.exe

System.Configuration

Win32 Version: 4.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 4.7.2102.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

WPFOSD

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/SCM/WPFOSD.DLL

Hi Jordan,

This error will occur if the .Net Framework is damaged. To help resolve the issue, we suggest repairing the framework by following the steps in this article to help in resolving the issue.

You can also download the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool if the provided steps on the above link will not work.

Get back to us with the result so we can provide further assistance.

81 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Although it initially worked out well for a couple of days, I have since had the same framework error occur a couple of times after that. After the first time I encountered the error, I refollowed the steps listed above but still just recently had a crash after that. Are there additional steps I could try?

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Jordan,

You mentioned that your concern was already resolved a week ago, then it resurfaced today. Were there any changes made to your computer before the issue resurfaced? Kindly check if updates were recently  installed on your computer. To do so, just open Settings, then go to Update and Security. Click on Update history, and you will see the latest updates that were installed on your computer.

We look forward to your response.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Joshua,

As far as I know, there have not been any changes to my computer before the issue resurfaced. I just checked the update history and everything had been updated before the issue re-occurred today. I, also, have not downloaded any new programs since that date either. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is possible that you are experiencing this issue due to software conflicts. If you have a third-party antivirus software installed on your computer, kindly uninstall it first. A third-party antivirus software can cause issues like this. To be sure, you can perform a clean boot on your computer. Performing a clean boot will start Windows using a minimal set of startup programs and set of drivers. To know how to, kindly follow the steps in this article: How to perform a clean boot in Windows. Remember to read the instructions thoroughly.

Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need further assistance with your concern.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 237,770 Applies to: