Microsoft MN-510 10/100BT USB Enet NIC Wireless Network Adapter is not compatible with Windows 7

So this device was designed for obsolescence? The Microsoft Windows 7 compatibility website states it is not supported! I will NEVER suggest any Microsoft hardware to anyone ever again. I paid good money for this device and was assured when I bought it that Microsoft would always support it. This looks like another strike against Microsoft in the anti-trust debate. Thank God for Logitech and D-Link - they will get my money and they will be the ones I recommend to my customers from now on.

The Windows 7 compatibility checker states that the D-Link DWL-G-132 USB adapter is not compatible.

So what have you tried so far? This?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810953

Have you tried installing it manually or maybe seeing if Windows Update finds a driver for it?

You may have to connect it and then reboot before Windows 7 finds anything for it.

Re the DWL-G132:

Despite what the Windows 7 Compatibility website says, it will work on both bit versions of Windows 7 but no thanks to D-Link. The last D-Link drivers were for Vista 32, and no hint of anything 64-bit. It is working courtesy of generic drivers in Windows 7 and is currently the saviour of a Toshiba L500 which would otherwise not have a wireless connection at all..   

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The Windows 7 compatibility checker states that the D-Link DWL-G-132 USB adapter is not compatible.

So what have you tried so far? This?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810953

Have you tried installing it manually or maybe seeing if Windows Update finds a driver for it?

You may have to connect it and then reboot before Windows 7 finds anything for it.

Re the DWL-G132:

Despite what the Windows 7 Compatibility website says, it will work on both bit versions of Windows 7 but no thanks to D-Link. The last D-Link drivers were for Vista 32, and no hint of anything 64-bit. It is working courtesy of generic drivers in Windows 7 and is currently the saviour of a Toshiba L500 which would otherwise not have a wireless connection at all..   

Where did I say anything about having a D-Link wireless adapter? As far as pimply-faced kid comments, yours just got you a Report Abuse report. I need answers not snark. I have xhausted ALL those avenues, yes. I have also been MCP certified since 1999 with Digital Equipment Corp. I just have had it with MS building obselescense into their hardware.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As do D-Link and all other hardware manufacturers. I used D-Link as an example because you stated 'Thank God for Logitech and D-Link'.

I have a Canon Lide 30 scanner which Canon decided to dump. It works perfectly well but I have to use Vuescan to keep it working.

Microsoft are no worse than any other and I could not understand the snark in your tone. You have been in the business long enough to not believe a third party when they say that support will be forever. It will not happen and has never happened, not with any hardware manufacturer.

Day after day, we have to advise OPs that their aging Umax, HP, Canon, Epson etc scanners have no support in Windows 7. The scanners would work perfectly, many of them I suspect have been hardly used, but it doesn't alter the fact that the manufacturer has discontined the supply and support in line with its product lifecycle policy.

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I agree with that. I've also had to look a person (MANY times) in the eye and tell them, "it's just obsolete with the new operating system". I've had a couple of people who have enough money to go buy an older laptop just so they can load their old OS on it and thereby keep the device functional in some manner. Thanks for clearing this up. It's good to know others out here who feel the same about this "lifecycle policy", or built-in obselescence as I called it.

Take Care,

John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

John

I have had to do that too. It is not one of the better aspects of what I do locally for computer users. Very often, they see their computer stuff as part of the family, their baby and being told that the manufacturer has deemed their baby a museum piece does not go down well at all. :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No doubt there! I usually break it to them as gently as possible, and I usually end up spending an extra hour at no charge trying everything 2-3 times and going much further in researching the problem by going to this and other knowledge bases. The analogy "well, you know, it's like a car; you know you're going to buy more than one in a lifetime". It doesn't make them any happier, but at least they know I've tried my hardest, and I get paid with a smile and a return customer. :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 02:12:50 +0000, Mike Hall MVP [MVP] wrote:

Day after day, we have to advise OPs that their aging Umax, HP, Canon, Epson etc scanners have no support in Windows 7. The scanners would work perfectly, many of them I suspect have been hardly used, but it doesn't alter the fact that the manufacturer has discontined the supply and support in line with its product lifecycle policy.

Right, and I'll just add the following to that:

It's up to the manufacturer of the hardware to write and make
available for download drivers for a new version of Windows.
Especially if your hardware is older, it may  well be that the
manufacturer has decided that it's not worth his time and effort to
develop drivers for hardware that he is no longer selling. Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, Ken

Its called the 'product lifecycle'.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_life_cycle_management

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 02:12:50 +0000, Mike Hall MVP [MVP] wrote:

Right, and I'll just add the following to that:

develop drivers for hardware that he is no longer selling. Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP

I agree Ken, and seeing as how I bought this wireless adapter in 2006 brand new (I realize it is a year older than that) I would expect, since it is Microsoft hardware, that at least Microsoft would be so inclined to update drivers for their own products. But, alas...

Take Care,

John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:43:04 +0000, JohnHampton Jr. wrote:

I agree Ken, and seeing as how I bought this wireless adapter in 2006 brand new (I realize it is a year older than that) I would expect, since it is Microsoft hardware, that at least Microsoft would be so inclined to update drivers for their own products. But, alas...

Microsoft is no different from any other company. They make decisions
based on what they think is best for their bottom line.
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2020 Views 842 Applies to: