Microsoft Flight Simulator low on memory problem.

I have a copy of FSX and love the game. However, with addons to enhance the appearance of the game I get a message telling me I’m out of memory after a short while of flying, less than an hour and one half. I was told that this is because Flight Simulator is 32 bit and no matter how much RAM I have, the game will only recognize the first 4GB. My PC has 16GB of RAM, an i9 8950HK, six core processor. Also, the SSD is a 2TB Samsung 970 Pro (NVMe) and a Nvidia 1050 Ti (4GB) video card. I have installed several US states that are photo real and I have left the HD water enhancement installed. I have also adjusted the settings within Flight Simulator to the lowest settings that still give me a good frame rate and realistic look. Is there no way around the 4GB limit? No utility to access RAM above 4GB? I’ve also stopped as much as I can from loading when my PC boots up. Many thanks to all, Blair...               PS, my OS is Win 10 Pro.. 

Answer
Answer

Hi Blair,

I'm assuming that your Win 10 Pro is a 64 bit version and not 32 bit.   And yes, FSX is limited to 4 GB of VAS (Virtual Address Space, not RAM) as it is a 32 bit application.

First off:  have you got the HIGHMEMFIX=1 entry in your fsx.cfg?   You probably know what I'm referring to and though it may not necessarily solve your issue, it is a must for FSX.

Secondly:  you have a very good setup for FSX, so no problems in that regard.   With your installed photoreal scenery, can you load only the scenery that is applicable to your flight plan?   In other words, go to FSX Settings and to your Scenery Library.  Make sure that Add On Scenery is at the top.   If you have your photoreal U.S. States under that, make sure that the (two) cities that are on your flight plan are the only ones enabled (of the photoreal cities, that is). 

Thirdly:   make sure that your page file is set to your preference.   It is normally suggested to have it set to "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives".   Though you can set a Custom size depending on the available space on your SSD.

If after all that you are still getting OOM errors, it could be that your VAS  is running low (usually because of photoreal scenery, heavy textures, clouds, high LOD radius, etc.) and may also be a high frame rate setting (generally 30 fps is considered more that adequate for smoothness).   So, if you are still seeing OOMs, then you may need to start from scratch (i.e. deactivate all photoreal scenery and move sliders to minimums (what is acceptable to you), with FPS at 30) and see how you go.   If no OOM, then progressively move up the scale and find out what is causing the problem.

Chris

NB:  Have a look at this good article from PMDG:   

https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 1,114 Applies to: