Microsoft Expression Encoder replacement for Windows 10

I have been using the excellent Microsoft Expression Encoder Screen Capture tool and Encoder for years on Windows 7.  It was a great tool to capture proof of concept during coding and deployment demo.

This tool worked fine on Windows 10 until last year when a Windows update made the audio codec used by the OS incompatible with the tool.

I have been looking for an alternative tool ever since from Microsoft. Most posting recommend using the Game bar. Game bar works great when you are demoing a single application. However it does not work when you are switching between multiple applications and your desktop during your recording.

Could someone recommend a tool from Microsoft that provides the same features as Microsoft Expression for Windows 10.

I am not interested in 3rd party tools (E.g. Snagit). I am currently interested in a tool from Microsoft.

Thanks

Hi ArM03011970

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

There is no alternative tool from Microsoft for what you need and Microsoft Expression is no longer in development or supported.

I would also recommend you submit a feature request; send me the short link so I can vote on it and bring it to the attention of the Windows engineers.

https://windows10.help/blogs/entry/54-how-to-su...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

@ArM03011970, can you please post a link here to your feature request, so that I can vote it up as well?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 10 Enterprise 1903 (Version 10.0.18362.295) with Expression Encoder Pro SP2 and it works perfectly.  I have no audio issues at all.  However, with that said, I too would like to see a new, supported tool from MSFT since Expression Encoder is no longer supported.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with DarienHawk67. The Microsoft Expression Encoder Screen Capture tool seems to work on my Windows 10 system right now.

I am not exactly sure what fixed the issue. I did have to make a few adjustments to the tool audio settings.

For instance the audio format (See the settings, audio tab) used to be 2 channel, 16 bits, 32khz by default on my old windows 7 system and the initial windows 10 release.

I had to change it to 2 channel, 16 bits, 48khz

In addition, the tool no longer automatically select any external audio device that you attach to the system. This was not the case for Windows 7.

For instance, the default Realtek Microphone and Speaker on my system were already checked in the Microsoft Expression Encoder Screen Capture tool (See the settings, audio tab). If I capture using this settings, the recording works fine (at least in my last few test).

If I plug in an external headset (E.g. Logitech), then the tool settings (audio tab) does list the Logitech device but does not mark it as checked. As a result, it will not capture any audio from the external headset (E.g. Logitech). You need to first mark the Logitech device as checked before capture.

I have been using this tool for years and I am happy with it for now. So I am hesitant to submit a feature request. (I have not submitted a feature request yet).

If I run into any more issues with this tool, I will submit a feature request.

Thanks

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 41,586 Applies to: