Microsoft Edge Address Bar

When searching using the address bar I get an error saying that it cant be found, it will only accept actual address of websites e.g. "www.google.co.uk". How do I get it so that it used google or Bing to search link its supposed to when typing into the address bar.

on another note, how can I get tabs to stop opening with ever link pressed, I want one page to open and when  I click a search result, for example, I want it to open on the same page..

Thanks for the help guys.

Hi Zach,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to open actual address of websites with short forms as you wish:

1. Open Microsoft Edge, click on More actions(...) at the right top corner.
  2. Click on View advanced settings, under Search in the address bar with click on down arrow.
  3. Choose <add new>, try to add the default website.

Secondly, as opening pages in new tab is set by design, I suggest you to provide this as a feedback.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply

i have already set my default to "www.google.com" but this still doesn't change anything, I assume there's some kind of bug or something because it works fine on my laptop :/

as as for the tabs it's just annoying as I'm used to keeping one page and just navigated with the back button.

is there an alternative method to changing the address bars behaviour perhaps in the desktop settings?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a lot to like about Edge. One thing that would make it easier would be to give an active cursor in the address bar right away. Currently, I have to click three times before I can get into the address bar to type a URL.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Appreciate your interest in the new Windows. We suggest that you provide us a feedback regarding this Feature request/Suggestion using the "Send Feedback" option which is available in the Edge Browser.

Get back to us for any queries related to Windows 10 and we'll be glad to assist.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 15,515 Applies to: