I need to turn on media streaming so that my camera can send photos to my PC using the home wireless network. (The camera maker's software tries to turn on media streaming itself as part of the install process, but the install fails because media streaming could not be turned on. So I'm trying to turn on media streaming manually.)
What happens when I try to turn media streaming on:
- In admin account, I open the "Media steaming options" settings, which says "Media streaming is not turned on". The OK button at the bottom of the dialog is grayed out.
- I click the button that says "Turn on media streaming".
- The cursor turns into a blue donut that spins momentarily as if waiting while something is happening. Then it goes back to being a regular cursor.
- The button still says "Turn on media streaming". The settings dialog still says "Media streaming is not turned on". The dialog's OK button is still grayed out. In other words, it did not turn on.
Windows 10 Home (64-bit) on Dell 660s. Security software at the moment is only Windows Defender + Firewall (default settings). This PC was originally running Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 about two months ago. Media streaming
DID work until the upgrade to Windows 10, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.
What I've tried so far, with no success:
- Going to %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player and deleting the .wmdb files.
- Opening Windows Media Player and selecting Stream -> Automatically allow devices to play my media.
- Running services.msc and making sure that the settings are as shown in #3 here.
- Running services.msc and verifying that Windows Search Indexing is enabled (set to Automatic).
- Doing a clean boot and trying to turn on media streaming.
- Removing Windows Media Player from Windows (via option 1 as shown here), rebooting, and reinstalling it.
- Installing Dell SupportAssist and having it look for/install updated drivers.
- Having Dell SupportAssist run a hardware checkup (no problems found).
- Running various troubleshooters built into Windows 10 (no problems found).
- Creating a HomeGroup and setting this PC to share pictures.
- Creating a new Windows user account and trying to turn on media streaming from within that account.
- From inside settings, "Reset this PC" to reinstall Windows. Then, doing 1-11 again.
- Saying "pleeeeeeeeeeease" to my computer.