Media Player licence.

I have recently updated to Windows 10.  I copied my music library from my old PC (Media Player 11) to my laptop and while the majority of my tracks will play a significant minority will not and the following window appears. It is headed "Media Usage Rights Acquisition" and says the following - "Licence Required  - A licences is required to play the selected song or video. However, a licence for this file cannot be found, has expired, or was corrupted.
To get a licence for this content, please visit the web site or open the software application from which the file was originally downloaded. You may be required to log in or purchase the song or video"
These tracks are my property which I have paid for either by ripping from an already purchased CD or downloaded from sites, some of which no longer exist, e.g. Virgin Digital. I have been advised that it is because these files are in WMA format and need to be converted to MP3 format. I have then downloaded conversion software and attempted to convert these files but each time I am confronted with a message "DRM protected unable to convert". Unfortunately Microsoft want copious amounts of money before they will even deign to look at the problem which is quite upsetting as it is not a problem of my own making. Can anyone help.

Hello Bob,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with the issue that you are facing.

You may try to reset the DRM store on the computer and check if it helps you fix the issue. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Locate the DRM folder on the hard disk, and then rename the DRM folder to DRMbackup.
Note: By default, this folder is in the following location in Windows 8: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM

b. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp

c. Follow the instructions on the Web site to update the security component of Windows Media Player. This procedure enables you to obtain new licenses for media content. You can also reset licenses for purchased content so that you can play that content on a computer.

Note: On a Windows 8-based computer, you must run Internet Explorer as an administrator before you update the security component of Windows Media Player. To do this, follow these steps:

If issue still persists, follow the link and check:

A license is required to play this file
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/pdrm/en/welcome.asp

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
Sahil Bali

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 518 Applies to: