Media Player displays licensing error message and won't play music.

Windows Media Player displays this error message:  
"The license cannot be downloaded because your Web browser is not supported.
To download a license, you must install Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later.
To install the latest version of Internet Explorer, see the Windows Update Page."

I have IE10 installed and am using Windows 8 on a Dell XPS 8500.  The error message
provides no info on how to download a license.

Would appreciate help with this.

Thank you.
James Wheeler

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

From the provided information, I understand that you are getting an error "The license cannot be downloaded because your Web browser is not supported. To download a license, you must install Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later. To install the latest version of Internet Explorer, see the Windows Update Page”. We need some more information to assist you in a better way.

1.      When exactly do you get the error message?

2.      Is Internet Explorer the default browser?

3.      Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

This issue may occur if you have made one or more of the following changes to your computer hardware:

·         You recently changed hardware components, such as the CPU or the motherboard.

·         You modified any one of your computer's Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) settings that affect hardware components, such as disabling CPU hyper-threading.

·         You moved the hard disk drive from one computer to another computer.

You may try the following steps below and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Set Internet Explorer as default browser and check if it helps in resolving the issue.

You may refer to the link to set the default program.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-10

Hope this helps. For any Windows related queries or issues, please get back to us. We are here to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Greetings Niyamath,
To answer your questions:
- IE is now my default browser. The majority of my music now plays, however, there are a few
playlists that still won’t play.
- The Media Player issues started when I transferred my music files from my old computer, using Windows 7, to my new computer, using Windows 8. The transfer was done using a fast transfer cable and I followed the instructions for using the factory installed software for transferring files.
I would appreciate instructions on how to get these remaining music files to play.
Thanks so much for your assistance.
James Wheeler

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2019 Views 1,082 Applies to: