McAfee Security thru ATT, Windows 7 - must update to Windows 10? Do I really have to?

I was on with AT&T (internet provider) for 4+ hours yesterday, trying to get the McAfee security package working that is free thru my AT&T account.  I spoke to Chicago, Phillipines & India (all so patient & nice) but then no luck as error messages persisted when loading the Mcafee package.  I was told that my Windows 7 (operating system) must be updated (? Windows 10?) for the McAfee security package to work with my current Dell computer (about 8 years old).   

I really have no problems with my desktop PC and am scared to update to the next operating system (Windows 10?) as I have had problems before with updates.

Any expert advice?  Thank you.  

Answer
Answer

Since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 on January 14, 2020, some software publishers have updated their own products to remove support for Windows 7. 

I don't know what specific McAfee product you may have through AT&T.  McAfee says that its " business and enterprise products" will be supported on Windows 7 through December 31, 2021.  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB91432 

McAfee's position with respect to its consumer products is unclear. 

On one hand, it says, "CAUTION: Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, which could put your PC at risk from new threats. McAfee strongly recommends that you upgrade your PC's operating system to a newer version as soon as possible. ... McAfee provides only "best effort" support for McAfee products installed on Windows 7." LINK.

On the other hand, the "minimum system requirements" for McAfee "Total Protection" includes "Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7 SP1 (32- and 64-bit)."  LINK

If I were you, I would uninstall all McAfee products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool.  See LINK.
And then install a good, non-intrusive antivirus-only product. 

There are lots of opinions on the "best" antivirus product.  Do some reading here, where post #1 describes some general best practices and post #2 gives some antivirus recommendations:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/  Those posts were last updated in October 2019, so they're only a bit out of date.  IMO, they are still good advice.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2022 Views 133 Applies to: