McAfee Firewall Won't Stay On; Can't Turn on Windows 7 Firewall; Computer Keeps Restarting; and I can't access a file because my computer says I don't have permission

I have been using McAfee Firewall as my firewall.  Now when I try to turn it on it goes on for less than a second and then turns off.  Windows Firewall also will not go on.

My computer keeps rebooting by itself so I can not finish an antivirus scan.  In one place it suggested that I try it in Safe Mode but it didn't work (and it told me it didn't work because I couldn't connect to the internet).  I tried "Safe Mode With Networking" and it still wouldn't let me scan.

Another thing, the last time I tried to scan it it got stuck on "C:\Windows\SysWOW64A\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet files\desktop.ini".  This makes me think that this could be the problem, so I tried to get to it to put the file in "VirusTotal".  I was able to get to it before I had the idea to put it in "VirusTotal" but now it won't let me in and it says:

"You don't currently have permission to access this folder."

"Click Conitnue to permanently get access to this folder."

When I try to click "Continue" it never gets through.

I tried changing the "Owner" tab under "Security" but it still won't work, so I can't check to see if the file is a virus.

Should I try downloading a new antivirus program to scan my computer?

Sorry if this is in the wrong category.  I have so many problems it's not easy to categorize.

Answer
Answer

Uninstall McAfee completely.

Do not use any product that claims to make your computer run better.  Virtually all of them are either bogus, themselves an infection, or put your computer at risk. Remove everything that claims to be there to prevent infections or claims to make your computer run better, with the singular exception of just one antivirus product.

This is a controversial topic, but your choice of AV software may be something you want to take a 2nd look at.  I suggest you visit this web site to get a sense of which AV software does the best job, depending on what kind of user you are:   http://www.av-comparatives.org/   This is a non-profit that has been around for a long time and I trust their results.

When you interpret these results, keep in mind the difference between a product that detects 95% and another 99% of infections, is actually 5 times more likely to allow an infection.

I look after about 150 Windows PCs and have for over 13 years.  Up until last September, the only AV software I would allow my clients to use was Norton Antivirus.  Please note well that that is not the same as any other Norton product such as 360 or Internet Security.  My clients have rarely ever experienced infections.

Last September Symantec (owner of Norton) decided to no longer sell such a product.  After a lot of research, I decided on Bitdefender Antivirus 2015+.  I have installed it on most of those PCs so far and there has never been a problem, and this has been over a course of about 11 months now..  It is a better product than Norton.  It is also not expensive. One of the things I like most about it, is it silence and unobtrusiveness.  Especially if you silence its "Wallet" function. 

My clients know well that if they install any "Internet Security" product, I will not work on their computers until it is removed.  I learned very well the hard way that the other components in these IS products (other than the AV itself) cause more problems than any benefit they bring and mostly work by shutting down the Windows component that does a very good job of that particular task anyway.  The problem was that when I started to work on a computer with an IS on it, I could spend hours trying to diagnose the problem, only to discover that by removing the IS product, the problems became much clearer and easier to solve.  I think the IS product is actually hiding the problem.

Like I said, this is a controversial topic and you will find a lot of very strong different opinions.  I just know that mine is based on a pretty large sample over a long period, and these are typical consumer Windows consumers.

Note well.  You should never have more than one protection software installed.  Always ensure that you completely remove any and all protection software packages before installing a new one.  That includes software that may have come pre-installed on your computer when new

You cannot fully remove most any AV software by simply using the standard Windows 7 uninstall tool.  Most of the majors also publish a "removal tool" that gets the rest of it.  If you do not completely remove it, it will cause very hard to understand and diagnose problems.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2019 Views 1,394 Applies to: