Many persistent errors in Event Viewer after Windows 11 build 22598.ni_release.220408-1503: "Autopilot.dll wil error was reported"

I used to be part of the the Windows 11 Insider Beta channel. After updating to build 22598.ni_release.220408-1503 I began to see the same error in Event Viewer extremely frequently:

The errors are all the same and read as follows:

Autopilot.dll WIL error was reported.

HRESULT: 0x80070491

File: onecoreuap\admin\moderndeployment\autopilot\dll\dllmain.cpp, line 128

I have never used any program called Autopilot or Modern Deployment. After seeing this problem I immediately left the insider program and am now queued for enrollment. However no new Windows update has happened and these errors persist. How do I prevent these errors?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have found similar information before and agree that this appears to be set up for corporate IT use primarily.

What I have not been able to track down is what does Line 128 information mean or give anyone. I would appreciate any ideas or guesses. Regards Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have found similar information before and agree that this appears to be set up for corporate IT use primarily.

What I have not been able to track down is what does Line 128 information mean or give anyone. I would appreciate any ideas or guesses. Regards Don

You know any ideas or guesses that you may receive would be just that an idea or guess. You can bet that MS knows exactly what is causing this but the main issue is why they will not address this to users and if they are even going to fix it or just ignore it and have us live with it. Maybe just maybe it may be fixed with the next upgrade for Win10 and Win11. I have an HP OMEN Desktop that I use for photo editing and graphics and not gaming and have yet to see these errors on my machine. I got tired of dealing with it on my wife's HP Envy Laptop so I just turned off the Event Viewer section where the errors are being logged. If MS fixes the error then they do or they don't either way but I am not going to waste any more of my time jumping in and out of rabbit holes trying to track down the reason for the errors.

Respectfully,

Don

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem has history - when it first raised it head, a web search going back 3- 4 the same issue was doing the rounds. Last year, there were issues with with WaasMedic, that as well had a previous history. Are MS running out of ideas in that they keep releasing old disruptive problems for us users - WHY?

These are intentional releases from MS, they know the cause (of their making) they also know how to resolve it - MS DO IT KNOW - you know of this thread - just have the decency to RESPOND.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had an hour long troubleshooting chat with MS support on this issue. mostly they had me conduct standard troubleshooting through an admin command prompt - all tools I had tried many times before. In the end the agent recommended an inplace upgrade. Curious if anyone has tried it? I have another newer machine with the same build of 11 and it does not have the problem at all - so I wonder if the problem stems from updates on updates on updates such that a cleaned up installation would address the problem. I am not ready to reset that is for sure.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had an hour long troubleshooting chat with MS support on this issue. mostly they had me conduct standard troubleshooting through an admin command prompt - all tools I had tried many times before. In the end the agent recommended an inplace upgrade. Curious if anyone has tried it? I have another newer machine with the same build of 11 and it does not have the problem at all - so I wonder if the problem stems from updates on updates on updates such that a cleaned up installation would address the problem. I am not ready to reset that is for sure.

I performed a clean install and that cleared it up for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For me, this started when I used Windows Update to update from Windows 11 21H2 to 22H2. To try getting rid of it (and other issues caused by 22H2), I went to Settings > System > Recovery > Reset This PC and had it do a "clean" install with a fresh copy of Windows from MS' cloud but keep just my data. The problem persists. I really don't feel like doing yet another install on the off-chance that it will fix this.

Reverted to Windows 10 because of the Windows 11 Taskbar (Never Combine)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have seen this problem occur on my own pc for some time. I created a new microsoft account during reinstallation of windows 11 22H2 and I no long have this issue with the new account. So I think the problem is bound to my old account which I have been using since windows 8 days. Maybe there is something occuring in the account itself which presents itself in these errors.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have seen this problem occur on my own pc for some time. I created a new microsoft account during reinstallation of windows 11 22H2 and I no long have this issue with the new account. So I think the problem is bound to my old account which I have been using since windows 8 days. Maybe there is something occuring in the account itself which presents itself in these errors.

Thinking the same thing so I did a clean install with jump drive and newly created Microsoft account using 22H2 media only to still receive about 400 weekly Autopilot.dll WIL  0x80070491 errors.

Wondering if temporarily pulling the internet and performing a clean install with a local account would get around this error. As oreveredrist stated, I've run out of enthusiasm to do another install.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Fair enough, seems like a bit of a lottery on if it might work. I'm glad mine is but seeing what you said about you also using a new account I can't say why that is. Good luck if you can be bothered. I was using manjaro for a while as i was experiencing the blue screen of death alot, but it's all better at the moment on this pc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Posting only to give this problem more traction.

Running an HP Envy laptop, am a Zoom power-user for music instruction.

My on-board microphone will randomly stop working in the middle of Zoom calls. If I change microphones, and reselect the on-board, it kicks it back on.

After countless hours trying windows updates, microphone driver uninstall, reinstall adn update, Zoom software deletion and reinstall, with no fix, I looked to error logs. I'm a newbie to this, didn't know what I was looking for.

After recording the times I noticed the microphone stopping, it was the exact same time that this error message pops up.

Upon reading through this thread, I also have issues with my computer going to sleep, then monitors refusing to turn on (black screen) so that I can log back in.

I have had these problems for months, I believe it's linked to a Windows update.

I have disable MS account sign-in assistant, didn't help.

Haven't tried turning off overclocking, doubt I have it even turned out.

Will be trying to work-around of disabling the log. Hope we get a fix.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 62,260 Applies to: