Manually Clearing Page File Windows 7

Hi I have a relatively new PC with a SSD. My drive is not that large and I want to minimize or clean off any extra junk files that are not needed. Recently when running my anti virus software it automatically added the addition to clear my page file at shutdown.  When shutting down Windows 7 I noticed it took about 15 minutes and when I rebooted my system I viewed a significant amount of free space on my drive (10 GB). I left the registry alone allowing the clear page to continue to clear at shutdown, but it takes about 3 minutes even after minimal use. So I have set the registry NOT to clear my page file at shutdown. I do use a system cleaner daily, but it does not have the ability to clear the page file manually.

Is there a way to clear the page file manually within Windows or at shutdown with a quick setup?

If not is there a cleaner that would allow me clear the page file or to turn it off and on easily. My current anti virus software will turn it on, but I have to manually turn it off within the registry.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, DataMiner2,

I've used this edit to clear the page file but never a third-party software.  The software may be what's taking soo long.

How to clear the Windows Paging File on Shutdown

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834

Windows 7 and Windows Vista - Clear Paging File

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/157323-virtual-memory-paging-file-clear-shutdown.html

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You don't have to use the paging file, but I would recommend leaving it alone. I also do not see a need to clear it ever. Here is some good info on the paging file:

If you want to turn it off choose the option "no paging file". 

PCLearningAid.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Clearing the PF at shutdown is mostly a security measure (do you have a corporate spy ?),
and yes, it will always take a lot longer to shut down when the PF is set to clear at shutdown.

A lot of people claim the PF is no longer useful - It is. There is still software and games that
make use of the PF .
If you have an SSD with limited space you should get by with  1024 or 2048 MB .
I use the set the min and max at the same amount method, and have had no issues with a
1024MB PF on my SSD.  I did have a PF on my HDD as well, but have disabled that while experimenting  with the 1024MB size. 
Many  still use the old suggestion to use 1.5X the amount of RAM your machine has ,
while most use the System Managed option.

Tweak Now Power Pack  has an option to clear the PF at shutdown. I got mine free from a
magazine DVD, but apparently it costs $15- for a perpetual license if you download the software.
As with most software of this sort most of the 'tweaks' can be done easily without the aid of the Power Pack. The option to the clear PF , and one or two others would be the exceptions.

http://www.tweaknow.com/powerPack.php

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks everyone for posting. I am still hoping someone has an easy way to clear the page file manually while in Windows rather than setting it up in the registry at shutdown (which I know how to do). Or knows of a third party peice of software that can do it while in Windows.  

Also, I want to let the computer handle the amount of virtual memory used.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then just leave it as it is. There is no merit in clearing the pagefile at shutdown or at any other time..
Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, but it takes up too much space on my drive. Last time I deleted it took up 10GB on my 60GB drive. This is on a 3 month old PC. It only grows if left alone. It would be great to have a way to easily delete it within Windows once a week.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Check the list found here in the Script Repository

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/site/search?query=Page%20File&f%5B0%5D.Value=%20Page%20File&f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&ac=8

Have you removed applications that are just collecting dust -- Found in Control Panel and Turn Windows Features On or Off?  60GB is not a lot of disk space and it will bog down with each application/file/folder, etc....   Additional Memory may help

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Smitty, yup I keep the system only for essential programs. The scripts link looks very interesting. I like the idea of limiting the page size with a max amount, but wonder if I did this and it hits the limit what would happen? Would it cause a crash like if you limit the virtual memory amount? Pitty there seems no way of just simply clearing the page weekly from within Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I like the idea of limiting the page size with a max amount, but wonder if I did this and it hits the limit what would happen?

You would begin to receive Low on memory messages and Windows will adjust the file accordingly..  Windows has a built in self-preservation mechanism "to an extent". 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where, in TweakNow Power Pack, did you find the option to remove pagefile?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 67,907 Applies to: