Manual install of Microsoft Defender Antivirus update

Hello,

I have a laptop that does not have access to internet. I still need to scan it and update antivirus definition file.

I download the file from PC that has access to internet, then transfer it to laptop and try to install update. I do it using command line and running this:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -Path C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\mpam-fe.exe

It did not work for me but when I connected laptop to internet it worked fine.

Hence my question: when I want to install Defender update file ... should laptop be connected to internet? Or manual update should also work when laptop is isolated?

Here are results from the log:

With internet connection:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MpCmdRun: Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -Path C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\mpam-fe.exe Start Time: ‎Fri ‎Feb ‎11 ‎2022 18:25:35 MpEnsureProcessMitigationPolicy: hr = 0x1 Start: MpSignatureUpdate() Calling MpUpdateStartEx with option 0x1 Update started Search Started (MU/WU update) (Path: https://fe2cr.update.microsoft.com/v6/)... Search Completed Download Started... Download Completed Download Completed Installation Started... Installation Completed Update completed succesfully. (hr:0x00000000) Finish: MpSignatureUpdate() MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Fri ‎Feb ‎11 ‎2022 18:25:42 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without internet connection:

MpCmdRun: Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -Path C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\mpam-fe.exe Start Time: ‎Fri ‎Feb ‎11 ‎2022 18:30:59 MpEnsureProcessMitigationPolicy: hr = 0x1 Start: MpSignatureUpdate() Calling MpUpdateStartEx with option 0x1 Update started Search Started (MU/WU update) (Path: https://fe2cr.update.microsoft.com/v6/)... Search Completed Update failed with hr: 0x80240438 Update completed with hr: 0x80240438 ERROR: Signature Update failed with hr=80240438 MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Fri ‎Feb ‎11 ‎2022 18:31:08 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, thanks for reaching out! Sorry about the frustration encountered and please allow me to assist you.

I assumed you have downloaded latest Security intelligence updates from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/wdsi/defenderupdates

To install the update, you can double click on downloaded "mpam-fe.exe" file once it's copied to the laptop that is offline. There is no need to execute MpCmdRun to apply the update.

Please let me know if I can help you further!
Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indication if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Tianxiang,

Thanks for replying

You are correct and I downloaded the file from the link you posted

My goal is to automate update and scan processes hence I have to script it.

FYI: I tried to run this file as administrator and it didn’t work either when my laptop was off-line.

Hence my concern is: should laptop be on-line when try to install the file?

Note: my laptop is located behind the VLAN and doesn’t have access to internet. Hence I have to update Defender offline

You could see in the log successful and failed update cases depending of online vs. offline

Any clue?

Thanks

susja

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

The laptop does not need to be online to apply "mpam-fe.exe". You should script to execute mpam-fe.exe and not pass it through MpCmdRun.

For example, if mpam-fe.exe is in C:\Temp, you should run "C:\Temp\mpam-fe.exe".

By the way, there is no output with the update. You can check if the update is applied succcessful via GUI or log file.

Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indication if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for advice.

I will try to run directly mpam-fe.exe and let you know.

I just wonder what’s the difference between using MpCmdRun with the -Path flag to file and execution of file mpam-fe.exe directly

Appreciate your help

susja

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

The SignatureUpdate option requires you to specific UNC or MMPC sources to check for new Security intelligence updates. There is not a "Path" flag.

You can refer to the documentation here on creating a UNC source: https://docs.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/securi...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for trying to resolve my issue but still I don't have a luck.

Here's what I did:

1. run in PowerShell -  Get-MpComputerStatus

2. realized my current version of AntivirusSignatureVersion is 1.359.59.0

3. copy mpam-fe.exe to C:\Temp

4. execute mpam-fe.exe and check Get-MpComputerStatus that version did not change !!! i.e. it did not have effect

5. execute as Admin: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -RemoveDefinitions and checked that now version is 1.359.45.0

6. execute again as Admin mpam-fe.exe but version did not change

7. created UNC share like this: net share UNC=C:\temp. file mpam-fe.exe is located in C:\temp

8. execute "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -UNC - Update failed with hr=80070490

9. execute "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -UNC -Path C:\Temp\mpam-fe.exe - Update failed with hr=80070002

Well ... when I connect to my Wi-Fi and run -SignatureUpdate it does change the version but using it offline ( as I have to ) and trying all options I mentioned above ... no luck,

Any clue?

Appreciate your help

susja

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Did you note the intelligence update version when you downloaded it from the page? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderup...

If your current version of definitions is newer or the same as what you have downloaded, the update will not be performed.

Separately, your UNC path defined is malformed. It should look something like this: \\server\updates. You may refer back to the documentation I have provided in my last post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Sorry about my trouble. It looks that I mislead you and myself :)

I ran -RemoveDefinitions and it changed my current version to xxx.45

Then I ran from command line mpam-fe.exe and checked that now version is xxx.84

Hence it looks that it works as designed. Sorry again ... likely I tried to hard :)

Well ... now is the last issue I have to resolve before implementing it.

As you mentioned before I download the file from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates

But in my case the file download should be not manual operation but by using the script.

I have the script for downloading from URL ( e.g. I am downloading daily McAfee update file from this location http://download.nai.com/products/licensed/superdat/english/intel ).

It works perfectly fine because for McAfee it's a location where files are stored. While for Windows Defender this is not a location the script expected.

Hence ... my last question: do you know the location of the files for upload?

Thanks again.

Highly appreciate your help

susja

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

You can make use of the script that is mentioned in Step 3 of the documentation I've posted. Step 8 shows you how to setup scheduled tasks to perform the download.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/...

Please let me know if I can help further!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I allocated the server which I'm planning to use for download. It's Win 2012 R2

I followed the document you provided and ran the following:

PS C:\temp> SignatureDownloadCustomTask.ps1 -action run -arch x86 -isDelta $true -destDir C:\temp

I've got the following error:

--

Script started.

Get-Item : Cannot find path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates' because it does not

exist.

At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Scripts\SignatureDownloadCustomTask.ps1:171 char:12

+ $key = Get-Item -LiteralPath $path

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (HKLM:\SOFTWARE\...gnature Updates:String) [Get-Item], ItemNotFoundExcep

tion

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemCommand

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression. Cannot find path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\S

ignature Updates' because it does not exist. You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression. Cannot find path 'HKL

M:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Signature Updates' because it does not exist. The term 'SignatureDownloadCus

tomTask' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of th

e name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. Unable to find package provider 'NuGet

'. Unable to find type [Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.PowerShellGet.Telemetry]. The specified module 'PSReadline' was no

t loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory.

PS C:\temp>

---

I checked the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware and noticed that it does not have expected 'Signature Updates'

What should I do next? I noticed that this server does not have C:\Program Files\Windows Defender

Sounds like it should be on the server in order to run this PowerShell script ... I'm confused ..

Thanks

susja

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 6,911 Applies to: