Managing a recycle bin on an external drive

I have an external drive that I keep plugged into my Windows 10 desktop. It is the drive I use for my Windows Back up. It seems that the back up programme 'deletes' files to the hidden recycle bin folder on that drive. I know there are files on this drive because my virus scanner scans them.

I don't want these files.

Is there a way to configure a recycle bin on my external harddrive so that is a) has zero space or b) is bypassed. See image:

I am guessing if I choose the option by selecting properties in the recycle bin on my desk top, this will apply to all deleted files.

I am aware that I can unhide systems files to see $recycle.bin and Recycler on the external drive, but I cannot delete them without a lot of playing about. I would really like to bypass this activity and just delete the files.

The alternative would be for the files to show up in the main recycle bin, but they don't.

Hi,

Your external hard drive has its own recycle bin folder where the deleted files from it are stored. In order to delete those deleted files, we need to access first the recycle bin folder of the external hard drive. Follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer.
  2. At the top menu, click View.
  3. On the right pane, click Options > Change folder and search options.
  4. In the Folder options window, click the View tab.
  5. Under the Advanced settings, tick or select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
  6. Uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
  7. Click Apply, then OK.

Once saved, try to access your external hard drive. Its recycle bin should now be visible. You may then open the recycle bin folder and delete the files inside it.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

134 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Your external hard drive has its own recycle bin folder where the deleted files from it are stored. In order to delete those deleted files, we need to access first the recycle bin folder of the external hard drive. Follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer.
  2. At the top menu, click View.
  3. On the right pane, click Options > Change folder and search options.
  4. In the Folder options window, click the View tab.
  5. Under the Advanced settings, tick or select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
  6. Uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
  7. Click Apply, then OK.

Once saved, try to access your external hard drive. Its recycle bin should now be visible. You may then open the recycle bin folder and delete the files inside it.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Hi

As I said I know how to do this, but would rather not have to do it.

Plus the deleting part is very onerous as I have to (in no particular order) change the access from 'read only', log in as the administrator, turn off the application that is using the data, then I can delete. Then I have to reset all the settings, as I want the application (File History) on and I don't want to see protected operating system files.

So yes, I am afraid I do need further help, please

A perplexed user

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the feedback. Is your external hard drive detected as a local drive? If it's detected as a local drive, you may be able to run a disk cleanup to clear the deleted files on your recycle bin. Just right-click the specific drive, then click Properties > Disk Cleanup. Once in the Disk Cleanup window, check Recycle Bin in the Files to delete, then click OK. Please see the photos below:

Let us know if you need further information.

Regards.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the feedback. Is your external hard drive detected as a local drive? If it's detected as a local drive, you may be able to run a disk cleanup to clear the deleted files on your recycle bin. Just right-click the specific drive, then click Properties > Disk Cleanup. Once in the Disk Cleanup window, check Recycle Bin in the Files to delete, then click OK. Please see the photos below:

Let us know if you need further information.

Regards.

Hello

The drive does show in the system cleanup app, but shows the recycle bin as empty. Hence my original question: is there a way of configuring a recycle bin on my hard drive so I can delete the files in the $recycle.bin folder.

A perplexed user

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the disk cleanup shows the recycle bin is empty, there's a possibility that the deleted files are no longer available and that the bin it is really empty. One way to verify that is by unhiding the system files and manually check the deleted items in the external hard drive's recycle bin.

With regard to the option shown in the photo below, the changes will only apply to the deleted files in that specific drive that you modified.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2024 Views 92,882 Applies to: