Make a backup copy (ISO) of my Windows 8 Pro DVD

Hello,

I just purchased a license for Windows 8 Pro x64 Eng Intl (OEM - System Builder).

I want to make a backup copy of the disc - create an ISO image from it in order to write-it then to an USB 3 stick and get a faster install experience, and also for ensuring that if my original disc gets scratched I'll still be able to reinstall my Win8.

I made a copy with Nero already, but the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool says the ISO file is not valid and won't allow me to write-it on an USB stick.

Windows 8 (90-day Ent Eval) which I have now opens the file just fine in Explorer.

What is the issue and how can I make a backup ISO of my Win8 Install DVD?

Thanks,

Mihai.

|

Hi Mihai,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community!

You want to create a bootable USB (Universal Serial Bus) device to get a faster install experience.

What exactly are you referring to when you say “I want to make a backup copy of the disc "? Is it the Windows 8 disc?

In-spite of creating a USB bootable device you can create a System Image.

A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration—you can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your current programs, system settings, and files are replaced with the contents of the system image.

To create a System Image follow these steps:

a. Hold Windows + X and select Control Panel

b. Click on Windows 7 file recovery. Click on Create a System Image which is on the top left pane of the Window.

Note:

If USB device is attached to the computer, you will get the option there under hard disk if you click on the down arrow. You may save it into your USB device or any section whichever is convenient for you.

Hope it helps!

If you need any assistance on this issue or any Windows issue please keep us posted.

We are here to help you!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello again,

Please read the title of the post and the last question, I think they make my problem abundantly clear:

I want to COPY THE WINDOWS 8 PRO INSTALLATION DVD - THE ONE I BOUGHT!!!

I WANT TO GET AN .ISO FILE AS A RESULT, please read below in detail:

COPY THE WINDOWS 8 INSTALLATION DVD AND INSTEAD OF WRITING IT ON ANOTHER DVD, JUST SAVE THE .ISO FILE - THEN PUT THIS ISO FILE ON AN USB STICK USING WINDOWS 7 USB DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL!!!

The problem I have now is:

I made a copy with Nero already, but the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool says the ISO file is not valid and won't allow me to write-it on an USB stick.

I DON'T want to make any System Images! I know how to use the System Restore, I DON'T WANT THAT.

Thank you again!

Mihai.

@intellidream

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I imaged my C: boot disk as you described, and after installing & uninstalling MSOffice 2013 versions, my Win8 OS became so corrupted that I need to restore the image; however, it will not restore, as detailed below.  I'd like any advice you can give on how to restore the image made as you described, since Win8pro64 will not recognize it or restore it.  Note that I had tried the Win8pro Refresh and Restore options, but they did not work either.

I made an image of Win8pro64 and my entire boot drive C: (located on a new 128 Gb SSD), which I wrote onto an empty 60 Gb SSD; Win8 named the image "WindowsImageBackup", which contains a sub-folder with the "full computer name", which in-turn contains sub-folders named: Backup 2013-01-17 092355, Catalog, Logs, SPPMetadataCache, and a file named "MediaId.

I tried to use advanced recovery options in Control Panel, and while that routine lets one MAKE an image of Win8, it does NOT apparently let you directly restore an image; therefore, it is a useless and misleading tool for trying to safeguard your Win8 system, in my experience.  If I missed something, then it is not obvious. 

When I try to restore the image under Advnaced recovery tools, Win8 shows a "backup" dated 2013-01-17 and describes it as a "System Image Restore Point", but when I press the Next button for restoration, Win8 gives this error message in a window labeled "System Restore" with a large red X symbol:

"The selected backup could not be found. System Restore is looking for a restore point that is on your backup.  Choose a different restore point."

Then this window closes with the OK button, and returns you to the System Restore window with the listed restore points listed. 

Have you any ideas why this restoration of my Win8 image will not work, and any ideas on what else to try?  Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I dont Want To Create Back up.
I have Windows8 Enterprise OS & I want To Create an Valid ISO File of a Windows7 OS DVD (I already have a Windows7 Disk)
Please Suggest How To Create a Valid ISO file. (I am Saying Valid ISO File Because ISO created By other applications cant be used in the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool)

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You may want to refer to this link:

Burning a Windows 7 ISO File on a DVD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977640

You may also refer to this link:

Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

If this does not help, please create a new thread with more information on the issue so that we can assist you better.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2019 Views 7,219 Applies to: