MAJOR Crash on Windows 10 Involving Corrupted BIOS and Boot Drive

I installed Windows 10 on my desktop, along with my laptop. My laptop is still running it fine, but my desktop has pretty much fallen apart. Windows 10 ran fine on it, but on Wednesday, I put it into sleep mode to make sure the lockscreen would take my PIN. However, when I hit the spacebar on my keyboard, the computer didn't wake up. Strangely, my keyboard's backlight and NUMLOCK LED turned on, but the computer did nothing. I tried hitting the power and reset buttons; again, nothing. I thought it was just a bug, so I flipped the switch on my PSU's back, and turned the computer back on. It booted up fine.

Today, I put the computer in sleep for about an hour and a half, and again it wouldn't wake. I flipped the PSU's switch again, and when it booted up, I was greeted with a screen telling me my motherboard's BIOS was corrupted. Luckily, my motherboard had dual BIOS, so it was quickly restored.

Before I continue, I want to give a little backstory about my computer. Originally, it ran Windows 7. One day, Amazon had a sale on some Kingston SSDs, so I decided to buy one. I used the cloning software to copy Windows 7 from my 1TB WD HDD onto my new SSD. However, when I was finished, I didn't delete the Windows OS from my HDD.

So, after my BIOS restored, the computer restarted, and instead of booting into Windows 10, it began to boot into Windows 7, so I'm pretty sure that my SSD was corrupted, and my motherboard saw Windows 7 on my HDD as the only bootable device. When Windows 7 finished going through its splash screen with the Windows flag, it went through a three step file validation, where it said it found no files were corrupted, but when it went to step two, it started saying something about deleting. New lines of text kept coming from the bottom, stating that the system was deleting files. I don't know what that meant, whether it was deleting system files or not, but I'm sure that it wasn't good.

After that finished, the computer restarted, but it just booted into the file checking routine again. It went through all of this again, and restarted. It didn't go through the file checker again, and just stopped at a black screen. I restarted the computer, and went into the boot selection menu. I selected the SSD, and miraculously, Windows 10 booted up. It got to the login screen. I put in my PIN, and it told me that the PIN was incorrect. I put it in again, same result. I tried to login with my Microsoft account, and once again, I got the same result.

That's where my story ends. If anyone has any suggestion into what I should do, please, please reply to this. I was extremely excited for Windows 10, but as you can imagine, that excitement is pretty much over now. I can install Windows 7 again if I need to, but I really don't want to have to go through the whole fiasco of installing Windows, installing my drivers, installing about fifty updates, and then reinstalling 10.

I didn't see any better fitting category to file this under, so I just filed it under Other settings (sorry, I'm new to this forum)

In case my PC's specs make any difference in solving the problem:

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad-3.6GHz

8GB of RAM

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (EVGA brand)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE 970A-D3

Boot Drive: 120GB SSD (SATA)

2nd Drive: 1TB Platter Drive

Thank you for reading my post. Any help is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I decided to try signing in again, and it worked. I booted into the desktop, and there were no errors. One weird thing I noticed was that my headset had a new name containing lots of Unicode, and my clock was set two hours ahead. Other than that, everything is working. However, I would still like to know if there's a way to validate the system files to make sure that everything is okay. If anyone know, please respond. Once again, thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate you efforts in resolving this issue, to validate the system files to make sure that everything is okay.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore

corrupted files.

Refer to the below article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this information helps and let us know if you have any further queries related to Windows we will be glad to help you further.

Thanks.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I just had this same issue happen to me.  I installed windows 10 yesterday, and put my computer to sleep last night.  This morning my computer would not boot or wake from sleep.  I powered down the system and upon restart my BIOS had a checksum error, but was recovered by BIOS backup.  And everything seems to be working now.

I am now scared to put the computer to sleep.

SYSTEM_OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (10240.th1_st1.150717-1719)
SYSTEM_CPU AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
SYSTEM_CORE_NUM SYSTEM_CORE_LOGIC 4  SYSTEM_CORE_PHYSICS 4
SYSTEM_BIOS Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

SYSTEM MAINBOARD GA-880GA-UD3H  - Gigabyte Technology Version F4

SYSTEM_LANGUAGE English (Regional Setting: English)
SYSTEM_MEMORY 12284.543MB
SYSTEM_VIRTUAL_MEMORY 2047.875MB
SYSTEM_PAGE_FILE 24572.543MB
SYSTEM_STORAGE C:\    SYSTEM_HARDDISK_DRIVE    SYSTEM_TOTALDISC_SPACE 223.129GB    SYSTEM_FREEDISC_SPACE 85.197GB
SYSTEM_STORAGE F:\    SYSTEM_HARDDISK_DRIVE    SYSTEM_TOTALDISC_SPACE 931.511GB    SYSTEM_FREEDISC_SPACE 533.467GB
SYSTEM_STORAGE H:\    SYSTEM_HARDDISK_DRIVE    SYSTEM_TOTALDISC_SPACE 931.316GB    SYSTEM_FREEDISC_SPACE 871.137GB
SYSTEM_DIRECTX_VERSION DirectX 12
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_DEVICE \\.\DISPLAY6
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_CHIP GeForce GTX 960
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_MAKER NVIDIA
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_VRAM 1969.688 MB
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_SHARED_VRAM 2126.250 MB
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_DAC Integrated RAMDAC
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_DISPLAY_MODE 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_DRIVER nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_DRIVER_VERSION 10.18.0013.5362
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_DRIVER_DATE 7/22/2015 11:02:12 PM
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_DRIVER_LANGUAGE English
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_PIXEL_SHADER 3.0
SYSTEM_GRAPHICS_VERTEX_TEXTURE SYSTEM_SUPPORT
SYSTEM_SOUND Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
SYSTEM_SOUND_DEVICE_ID {99405ECE-BD8B-4B6C-9489-43537DA97FBB}
SYSTEM_SOUND_DEVICE_NAME RTKVHD64.sys
SYSTEM_SOUND_DRIVER_VERSION 6.00.0001.7535
SYSTEM_SOUND_DRIVER_LANGUAGE English
SYSTEM_SOUND_DRIVER_DATE 6/24/2015 10:57:00 PM
SYSTEM_SOUND Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
SYSTEM_SOUND_DEVICE_ID {1B0A6AD9-FCDD-413D-B119-895B57E30544}
SYSTEM_SOUND Speakers (Turtle Beach PX11 Headset)
SYSTEM_SOUND_DEVICE_ID {51F7A03A-74B1-4169-822D-4E52C0753A1C}
SYSTEM_SOUND_DEVICE_NAME USBAUDIO.sys
SYSTEM_SOUND_DRIVER_VERSION 6.02.10240.16384
SYSTEM_SOUND_DRIVER_DATE 7/10/2015 5:59:36 AM
SYSTEM_SOUND Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
SYSTEM_SOUND_DEVICE_ID {814C70ED-B068-4F4B-AAC6-30158A1A107E}
SYSTEM_INPUT {6F1D2B60-D5A0-11CF-BFC7444553540000}
SYSTEM_INPUT_NAME Mouse
SYSTEM_INPUT_REMARKS SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_AXIS 3  SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_BUTTON 8  SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_FOV 0
SYSTEM_INPUT {6F1D2B61-D5A0-11CF-BFC7444553540000}
SYSTEM_INPUT_NAME Keyboard
SYSTEM_INPUT_REMARKS SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_AXIS 0  SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_BUTTON 128  SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_FOV 0
SYSTEM_INPUT {262B0560-4D7A-11E4-8002444553540000}
SYSTEM_INPUT_NAME Turtle Beach PX11 Headset
SYSTEM_INPUT_REMARKS SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_AXIS 1  SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_BUTTON 5  SYSTEM_GAMEPAD_FOV 0

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OOPS!  Sounds like there is a problem with the NSA backdoor built into windows 10 Ha ha.. sigh.. so sad.  M$

and now windows 7?  KB 2952664 triggers daily telemetry run in Windows 7 -- and may be snooping on users

Thanks M$.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is my issue as well.

Put the computer to sleep end of my day (saving previous session and all).

Next morning, I have to restart via using F12 as I have a corrupt Bios. I have a dual bios, so it can do it fairly quickly, but OS8.1 did not have the issue.

I did nothing different, other than add OS10. No new programs. Deleted no programs. Changed no settings.

If there is no fix offered, I am going back to OS8.1.

I can not even find my command prompt to run msconfig to give my system info and the system will not allow me to cut and past the info from system.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same issue with my bio's becoming corrupt. 

It's my daughters laptop and it was put into sleep overnight, when coming back the next day to it, it would power on with just a black screen and wouldn't even post or get into the bios. After hard shutting it down and clearing the cmos on occasion it might manage to post and boot but when the laptop was shut down or put to sleep it would have the same symptoms (although if you just did a restart it would boot up fine)

After alot of fault finding the hardware I came to the decision the hardware was all ok and it might be something that windows had done and put the laptop into some weird hibernation mode that it couldn't get out of, but my thinking was if I boot it with no hard drive and it still wont post how could windows be effecting the boot into bios/post. All along I'm thinking at this point my motherboard has bit the dust and I'll need to replace it.

So then I decided to focus on the bios, what have I got to lose right? 

The laptop is a medion erazer x6823 so I went via medion's website to download the bios which wasn't available for my model so I called them. They said that the fault sounds like the motherboard is faulty and its out of warranty and a replacement is £299. I asked them for the bios files so I can try to re-flash it but they said they do not have the bios for my model.... Great.

Checking around the net I was struggling to find the bios for my motherboard but what I did notice is the motherboard is the same one fitted into the msi gt60 so after too much time spent finding a bio's I managed to find a site where people were unlocking bio's for their msi and found someone who had a unlocked bios for mines ( motherboard ms-16f31 ). I downloaded it and then had to try getting my laptop to boot. After many attempts it finally booted and I got into windows and used the bios file to re-flash it and guess what.... The laptop is now perfect. It boots first time every time as it did and as it should so the issue has always been down to the bios.

Now the fun doesn't end there. Windows 10 now says that the key for it is blocked, and after spending over a hour talking with Microsoft they are now saying there is nothing they can do and I have to buy a new windows key. How is that right?

TL:DR

Windows 10 wouldn't wake laptop up from sleep. Striped laptop down to find no hardware faults. Managed to reflash bios and everything is perfect again. Windows 10 key is now blocked by their server and they tell me I have to pay for a new licence

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a free program on the net for finding the windows key  in the bios. download and run it , it will show they windows key then just update license.

nirsofer *** Email address is removed for privacy *** is the author of the program and it's legal.

http://nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the identical problem on an older DELL desktop.  However there are no memory, SDI, complications.

I didn't get a message saying the BIOS was corrupt.  However, win10 complained there was no boot drive. Further investigation found that the HD interface selection in the BIOS had mysteriously been set to RAID.  Resetting to AHCI allowed booting, but still have the problem of not recovering from "sleep".  I have turned off all the power management features and only use manual power down now.  No problems in this configuration, but obviously something is very broken.  I should note, that after upgrading to win10 everything, including power management, was fine until this problem appeared about 3 weeks ago.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try a full power down , take plug out of the wall then remove cmos battery for a couple of minutes replace and boot up.

My laptop had the corrupted bios after trying to wake from sleep  ( WIN10 ), so i powered down , took battery off then took the cmos battery out , replaced and it booted up ( first boot after was very slow loading windows ). No problems now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issues with windows 10.
After I put my pc in sleep mode, a "crash" seems to appear.

The power on the pc strive to start while windows and bios was totally unactive. 
I was sure that some components had crash because of the new version of windows. I was thinking that my motherboard or processors was dead. I started to panic and I was mad.

After I turned down power for long time, for a complete reset, I was able to boot my pc with "an critical error in bios".
I never played on my bios. I wonder who's fault is it? Microsoft, I'm pretty damn sure that your OS crash seriously my cpu.
I'm mad and scared of losing my cpu to your faulty windows 10. 

I didn't need some unwanted nigthmare while I start my pc because windows 10 is on it.

I always choose pc and windows for the purpose that i make of it. But this story makes me realize that Microsoft doesn't make good and thrustworthy exploitation system. So, I'm glad to suggest you to buy some Apple product, even if I never used it. Just because it won't totally crash because it's on sleep mode.

I would like a contact from you and an many excuses or a new cpu because I'm doing your job by troolbeshooting your dangerous OS.

An unhappy consumer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you know just to corupt windows 10 OS bootup?

change setup from AHCI to RAID or IDE and reboot => windows10 bootup fail and corupt

!!

Great

and unable to fix it .

!!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 5, 2023 Views 11,532 Applies to: